might have been receiving orders...

chobalsim

Banned
India-Hindi
On it, Jeffrey had written a time and a specific location. Also, in large script at the top the the page, the High Command code for this alteration preceded the message. This confirmed the authenticity of the instructions, however wary Mason might have been about receiving orders from Jeffrey.

Captain Lt. Mason hates Jeffrey who is the observer of Nazi party. Jeffrey decode messages from High Command.

The last sentence makes me confused. Mason "might have been about receiving orders from Jeffrey" but actually he didn't, right? But why he "might have been about receiving it?"
Could you kindly explain the exact meaning of the last sentence to me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• nycphotography

American English
    This confirmed the authenticity of the instructions, however wary Mason might have been about receiving orders from Jeffrey.

Mason was WARY about receiving orders from Jeffrey. However, the authenticity was confirmed by the proper High Command code.

Does that help?

nycphotography

American English
    ahh Yes.

The orders ORIGINATED FROM high command, and travelled BY WAY OF Jeffrey, who had to decode them.

So from Jeffrey (through Jeffrey as an intermediary), he received the orders from High Command.

chobalsim

Banned
    India-Hindi
    Yes, that's right. I understand the route.
    But why he might have been receiving it from Jeffrey (although he didn't) because of wary/cautious??? Then what if he wasn't wary?
    Oh, what does make me confused? I'm not sure! But I'm still confused. :(

James Stephens

English, USA
    The message had been altered. Jeffery had written a time and location at the top. Mason suspected Jeffery capable of falsifying/altering the orders. However, the alteration of the orders was authenticated by the High Command code. Therefore, Mason had to accept the altered orders from Jeffrey regardless of the degree of his suspicions however wary Mason might have been.

E-J

England, English
    The use of "however" / "might" does two things here.

Firstly, it tells us there's a contrast - the idea of "even though". Mason was wary. He had to accept the orders, even though he was wary.

Secondly, it allows for flexibility as to the degree of wariness that Mason felt. It doesn't tell us whether he was only a little bit wary, or very wary - it simply tells us that the degree of wariness wasn't important/relevant. He still had to accept the orders!

chobalsim

Banned
    India-Hindi
    Oh, I've read some answers right now.
    Now I understood what made me confused. I thought 'however' meant 'but' here. :( But now I got to know it doesn't.

Thank you for all the explanations and advices. Thank you! :)