migratory movement

Discussion in 'English Only' started by whodouthinkyouare, Mar 8, 2011.

  1. whodouthinkyouare

    whodouthinkyouare Senior Member

    I was wondering if you know how to call a document that shows the date you entry/exit a country, the type of document used (passport for example), the number of said document and the movement (if you enter or exit said country)

    I have found that in other forums "migratory movement" is not used, I would appreciate if you could give me another way of expressing the abovementioned.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Fabulist Banned

    Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    You might be thinking of a "visa." This is a document, separate from your passport, that gives a non-citizen permission to enter a country. Many countries don't require visas, or don't require them if you are coming from certain countries. I never had to get a visa in advance to visit countries in western and central Europe, but the U.S. requires visas from many countries in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East, and perhaps from eastern Europe.

    My U.S. passport contains several pages labelled "Visas" on which dates of entry or exit from the U.S. and other countries are stamped. These "visas" are, therefore, not separate pieces of paper. I think they are sometimes known as "exit stamps" or "entry stamps."

    The term in English for "migratory movement" is "travel" if the movement is temporary. If you are moving more or less permanently from one country to another, it is "immigration" to the new country and "emigration" from the former country. The general term "migration" can also be used, but we use that more for birds and other animals than for people.
  3. whodouthinkyouare

    whodouthinkyouare Senior Member

    It's not a visa :(

    The document has the following chart

    Movement Date Origin/Destination Type of Document Document Number
    Entry 07/31/2008 USA Passport xxx
    Exit 07/16/2008 USA Passport xxx
    Entry 08/03/2008 Canada Passport xxx
  4. compaqdrew Senior Member

    English - AE
    Is this a document that travelers themselves access or maintain? If so, I am not aware of anything like this in the US.

    There is something called a "travel log" that a traveler might keep, but it is more akin to a diary than a spreadsheet.

    It is possible that customs or immigration / ICE / etc. have some type of document that they use internally, but if such a thing exists and if there is a word for it, it would be a technical term and not something which normal AE speakers would be familiar with.
  5. Fabulist Banned

    Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    Where did you get this "document"? Who issued it? What is on it besides the "chart"? If it is an official document, I would expect it to have the name of a government agency. If it were going to be used internationally, it would have the name of the country, too.
  6. whodouthinkyouare

    whodouthinkyouare Senior Member

    It's a document from Peru

    "CErtificate of migratory movement"

    Issued by the Bureau of Migrations and Naturalization"
  7. sdgraham

    sdgraham Senior Member

    Oregon, USA
    USA English
    There are many, many ways of recording a person's entry and exit into and from a country.

    I just returned from Japan and the entry and exit dates were stamped on my passport in addition to the two-part immigration document, i.e. one part was taken on entry and the other surrendered on departure.

    Additionally, some visitors to the the United States have a U.S. I-94 form to deal with upon entry and departure.

    The last time I left Germany, they just handed my passport back to me without doing anything, except perhaps, a computer record.

    Moreover, there are no formalities at borders at all between members of the European Union (at least those in Western Europe where I've been recently.)

    Just because one country has a document it chooses to call by a local name, that doesn't mean there's a similar, common English term for it.

    Additionally, the Spanish word migración does not translate to the English "migration." You're thinking of "Immigration,' which the "I" in the American I-94 represents.

    So, generically speaking, we talk about "immigration forms" to cover the raft of paperwork that one might or might not encounter at national borders and "immigration stamps or entries" in one's passports.
  8. sandpiperlily

    sandpiperlily Senior Member

    As sdgraham mentions, the I-94 most closely fits your description in the US context, but each country has its own forms and its own way of processing immigration paperwork.
  9. Fabulist Banned

    Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    Since we don't use the term "migratory movement" in English (for one thing, it's redundant), a country where English is the official language would not use "Certificate of Migratory Movement" as a document name. The type of document you are describing might be unique to Peru.

    ssdgraham suggests that you are mistranslating a Spanish word. The U.S. formerly had an "Immigration and Naturalization Service" but it's now called "U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Sevices" (CIS).

    If there is a U.S. document comparable to what you have from Peru, it would probably take a CIS or ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) bureaucrat, or an immigration attorney, to tell you what it's called.

    The process of entering the United States to take up residence here is immigration. The process of leaving the United States to take up residence elsewhere is emigration. Since the U.S. does not require residents to get permission to leave, the government is not much concerned with emigration.

Share This Page