mild or tender

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering which adjective conveys the meaning: express the emotion and feeling in a gentle manner, considerate and thoughtful.

1) "He/She is mild."

2) "He/She is tender."

• MirandaEscobedo

British English
    I think you need to look for an adverb not an adjective. After all you are talking about how someone expresses something. So, she might say XYZ gently or tenderly or softly or kindly.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think Miranda's advice is good, but I do see the dilemma when you want to describe someone.

Maybe: He/she is personable. :confused:

Sun14

Chinese
    I think Miranda's advice is good, but I do see the dilemma when you want to describe someone.

Maybe: He/she is personable. :confused:
    Got it. Thank you very much.

However, I don't see personable used by others before. Is it a daly-used word?

Sun14

Chinese
    We wouldn't describe a person as either "mild" or "tender". We might saw that someone is a warm person.
    But I do see this entry from Collins in Chinese:

A mild person is gentle and does not get angry easily.

"He is a mild man, who is reasonable almost to the point of blandness."

Maybe they collect the wrong data.

Besides, I think the person I describe should be quiet since he is considerate and only speak when he need to do so. He might not get angry easy but I think even warm person will get angry.

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
    But I do see this entry from Collins in Chinese:

A mild person is gentle and does not get angry easily.

"He is a mild man, who is reasonable almost to the point of blandness."

Maybe they collect the wrong data.

Besides, I think the person I describe should be quiet since he is considerate and only speak when he need to do so. He might not get angry easy but I think even warm person will get angry.
    Hi, Sun14. I would like to tell you I don't quite trust Collins now , because most usages of the words are not proper. (I asked a few questions regading the usage of the words, which were confirmed wrong by native speakers.)

I am wondering if "She has a mild temperament" is natural or common.
    Thank you.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You can say that someone is "mild-mannered". I suppose someone can have a "mild temperament", though it isn't an expression I would use. "An even temperament", yes, I might.

I think one of the problems with the epithet "mild" for a person is that in some people's minds it is inevitably coupled with "meek". "Meek and mild" have stuck in my mind, possibly from the Christmas carol that describes "gentle Mary, meek and mild".

Sun14

Chinese
    Hi, Sun14. I would like to tell you I don't quite trust Collins now , because most usages of the words are not proper. (I asked a few questions regading the usage of the words, which were confirmed wrong by native speakers.)

I am wondering if "She has a mild temperament" is natural or common.
    Thank you.
    I think we can trust Collins but the Chinese version is really terrible.

Sun14

Chinese
    You can say that someone is "mild-mannered". I suppose someone can have a "mild temperament", though it isn't an expression I would use. "An even temperament", yes, I might.

I think one of the problems with the epithet "mild" for a person is that in some people's minds it is inevitably coupled with "meek". "Meek and mild" have stuck in my mind, possibly from the Christmas carol that describes "gentle Mary, meek and mild".
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >