Mild weather

Wilmar Fraylan

Russian-Russia
Hello!
I came across the meaning of mild applying to weather as warm in time, when usually it's cold. Is it so? And is it used?
Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Here's an Ngram look at the frequency with which "mild weather" is used.

If you have questions about whether it works in a particular situation, please give us the sentence in which you would use it.

srk

English - US
    I read your question to ask whether "mild" is used to mean "warm at a time when temperatures are normally cold." It is used that way, as the links under Florentia's Ngram show.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Our weather forecasters also use mild to mean cooler when it has been hot. You have to know whether it has been (or was expected to be) hot or cold to know whether "milder" means cooler or warmer :eek: It makes a big difference when trying to understand them when they say "extremey mild"!

kentix

English - U.S.
    Generally, mild weather means weather that is not extreme. It's not very, very cold or very, very hot. But whether it's more hot than cold depends, as others have said, on what it's being compared to. Mild winter weather is not the same as mild summer weather.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Generally, mild weather means weather that is not extreme. It's not very, very cold or very, very hot. But whether it's more hot than cold depends, as others have said, on what it's being compared to. Mild winter weather is not the same as mild summer weather.
    Agreed - it depends on expectation - if it's winter, mild means warmer than you might expect and summer is the opposite. I have finally grasped that but I still don't get "very/extremely mild" and where that transitions into "warm" (for winter) - or "cool" (for summer) :D And what about spring and fall/autumn., I wonder?