mileage points

Masha*

Russia: Russian
I am rather dubious about the whole idea of the highlighted sentence:

"Since Houstonians aren't too proud to take the easy way out, plastic surgery is more popular here than anywhere except California. It seems like everyone has had some kind of work done. If you can't afford is stateside, you can slip across the border and get implants or lipo at a bargain. And if you put it on your credit card, you can earn enough mileage points to pay for Southwest tickets."

What is the purport of the sentence written in bold type? Does it mean that you'll have to fly very far (so fat that the mileage will be enough to get free Southwest tickets)? Or what?
Maybe I do not quite understand what mileage points are.
Thank you in advance for the help

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I am rather dubious about the whole idea of the highlighted sentence:

"Since Houstonians aren't too proud to take the easy way out, plastic surgery is more popular here than anywhere except California. It seems like everyone has had some kind of work done. If you can't afford is stateside, you can slip across the border and get implants or lipo at a bargain. And if you put it on your credit card, you can earn enough mileage points to pay for Southwest tickets."

What is the purport of the sentence written in bold type? Does it mean that you'll have to fly very far (so far that the mileage will be enough to get free Southwest tickets)? Or what?
    Maybe I do not quite understand what mileage points are.
    Thank you in advance for the help
    Airlines and other companies offer customer loyalty schemes called "Air Miles". When you have enough 'earned' you can cash them in against the cost of a flight. Wikipedia probably has something on the scheme.

Roddyboy55

England, English UK
    I imagine "mileage points" are a company scheme that allows the member to obtain points when spending money, on the company's credit card perhaps. This can be collected over time and then enable the person to fly free (in this case with Southwest Airlines) on future occasion.

Business travellers collect them regularly and use them for their holidays/vacations or pay for the tickets of family members.
    Southwest is undoubtedly an American airline and they probably accept such points instead of cash in a scheme like this.

The idea of the sentence is that if you don't have the expensive surgery in the US, but over the border (probably Mexican border) where it will be cheaper anyway you will also gain some points on the "Mileage Scheme".

hope this helps
    Rod

< Previous | Next >