military grade posture

Sirius77

Turkish
Hi,

Do you think "military grade posture" is like the posture of those with military grades? Can I substitite it with "military" only?

"With her glowing cheeks, sharp features, and military-grade posture, elegantly draped in black fabric from head to toe, and exuding a warm scent of musk mixed with something sweet.." (J. Nordberg, Underground Girls of Kabil).

Thanks a lot.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    military-grade posture,
    It is standard in English to use the phrase "XXX-grade" to talk about the quality of something. In the WR dictionary, this is meaning 1 for "grade". Thus we can have "industrial-grade diamonds" (very cheap) and "gem-grade diamonds" (very expensive).

This is the meaning here: a certain "grade" of posture. In the military, soldiers are often in formal situations where they are marching or standing in perfect lines. They are standing "at attention" while being observed by senior officer. This requires them to have an unusually perfect posture: the slightest bit of slouching will be punished.

I think the bold phrase means the "almost perfect" posture of soldiers "at attention".

Do you think "military grade posture" is like the posture of those with military grades?
    I do not know what "people with military grades" are, but I don't think that meaning of "grade" applies here.

Sirius77

Turkish
    Hello,

Thank you very much for the elaborate answer, that helped a lot. I agree with you.

Best.

< Previous | Next >