milk-shake flavor, Martin and Lewis = vanilla [Pulp Fiction]

Zincie

Mandarin
Hello everybody. I have a short question about flavor of vanilla. One of my favorite movies is "pulp fiction" in which Uma Thurman use "Martin and lewis" to refer to vanilla. Is this some way to describe flavors? Giving their human's names? Because I noticed that the waiter use Armos and Andy to represent chocolate flavor. Thanks! :D

• Copyright

American English
    From the Internet Movie Script Database for Pulp Fiction:

Scene: The picture windows don't look out the street, but instead, B & W movies of 50's street scenes play behind them. The WAITRESSES and WAITERS are made up as replicas of 50's icons: MARILYN MONROE, ZORRO, JAMES DEAN, DONNA REED, MARTIN and LEWIS, and THE PHILIP MORRIS MIDGET, wait on tables wearing appropriate costumes.

BUDDY (Waiter)
    How d'ya want that shake, Martin and Lewis, or Amos and Andy?

MIA
    Martin and Lewis.

So, yes, Martin and Lewis (first names Dean and Jerry) are white -- vanilla. Amos and Andy (last names Jones and Brown) are black -- chocolate.

I wouldn't advise you to use the terms -- or any other terms, really -- to describe vanilla and chocolate. This is a theme restaurant and the theme is showbiz personalities of the '50s. Those two flavours -- Amos and Andy, and Martin and Lewis -- are probably printed on the menu and they're reading from that, or at least they understand the waiter's description based on their context (the restaurant they're in).

heypresto

English - England
    Copied and pasted from Yahoo Answers:

both pairs were comedy duos back in the fifties.

Martin and Lewis (Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis) were white. Amos and Andy were the most popular black entertainers of the day.

So a Martin and Lewis shake would be vanilla, while an Amos and Andy would be chocolate.

Given the 'street' slang and language pervading the film, this seems plausible to me . . .

Edited to add that I think Copyright's suggestion sounds better than mine.

< Previous | Next >