milky sun

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
The next moment to stick in Perez’s memory was when Taylor stood in the Gillie Burn. He must have seen it, milky in the moonlight, but there was no way round.
<…>
They were sitting in the wood-panelled room and a milky sun was reflected from the water.
Source: Raven Black

If a burn (Scotish for a small stream) or the sun is being described as milky, what impression do you get?

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    I get the impression of something that looks white and opaque, jacdac. Milk is white and you can't see through it as you can see through the water in a glass of water.

Jason_2_toi

English-Scotland
    If I may say so, it requires a considerable stretch of the imagination in order to be able to see a burn, or the sun, as milky.
    By the way I've paddled in many a burn!

Last edited:

jacdac

Lebanese
    If I may say so, it requires a considerable stretch of the imagination in order to be able to see a burn, or the sun, as milky.
    By the way I've paddled in many a burn!
    Thank you. To have paddled in a burn implies the burn is not as small I had envisaged.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    1. The burn is in moonlight. The moon is reflected in it giving it a pale and milky white appearance.
    2. The sunshine is weak and pale because the previous section says that "Outside the weather had changed again, brightened up a bit. The rain had stopped and the wind had eased." It is therefore only able to create a weak/pale reflection. I've certainly heard the phrase "milky sunshine" before where the sun is not very bright - often during winter.

The following site is all about the TV series Shetland which is based on Ann Cleeves' books. It's quite interesting and has pictures of some of the locations mentioned and a useful map near the bottom of the page.
    Shetland: BBC drama with Douglas Henshall as Jimmy Perez | Shetland.org

This is the house in Lerwick that was used as Jimmy Perez's house in the series.

jacdac

Lebanese
    1. The burn is in moonlight. The moon is reflected in it giving it a pale and milky white appearance.
    2. The sunshine is weak and pale because the previous section says that "Outside the weather had changed again, brightened up a bit. The rain had stopped and the wind had eased." It is therefore only able to create a weak/pale reflection. I've certainly heard the phrase "milky sunshine" before where the sun is not very bright - often during winter.

The following site is all about the TV series Shetland which is based on Ann Cleeves' books. It's quite interesting and has pictures of some of the locations mentioned and a useful map near the bottom of the page.
    Shetland: BBC drama with Douglas Henshall as Jimmy Perez | Shetland.org

This is the house in Lerwick that was used as Jimmy Perez's house in the series.
    Excellent Sleuthing. Beauty. This makes it real and broadens my horizon of the actual places of the plot. Thank you Trochfa.

< Previous | Next >