mincing proof?

< Previous | Next >

Azure

Chinese
Dear All,

I read this from p.187 of Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maquire and found a book review (http://www.reviewsofbooks.com/mirror_mirror/review/) that tells me the narrator was musing about life. But I still can't understand what it means by "mincing" proof? Could anybody explain to me?

"We are never enough to ourselves because we can never be enough to another. Any one of us walks into any room and reminds its occupant that we are not the one they most want to see. We are never the one. We are never enough.​
The holy find this some mincing proof of God. Damn them. "​

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Mincing is a term for an exaggerated style of walking. I presume it is used here facetiously to mean "walking proof".

Kelly B

USA English
    I agree that maxiogee has the usual definition. But I wonder if the term is used (maybe misused) to mean "pitifully small".

suzi br

English / England
    Mincing is a style of walk (stereotypically) associated with gay men - is there a homosexual theme in the rest of the text?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Kelly B has this nearest, I say.

To mince has many meanings.
    This context is using the same meaning as in "I don't mince my words."
    Mincing: meaning ineffective, reticent, minor, apologetic.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    The origin of mince is the Latin minutia meaning small or tiny.
    I believe that it was with this in mind that the phrase was composed to say that 'The holy find this some mincing (minute or small or tiny or trifling) proof of God.' It sounds quite dismissive.

< Previous | Next >