mind, dont mind - meaning like, dont like

MedaBeda

Czech
Hello,
I am thinking about the usage of "mind" and "dont mind" with the meaning of "like" "dont like"

e.g.
I am at a visit of my friend and a song from some singer is on the radio and my friend thinks that I dont like this singer so he says:
"Should I turn it off?"
Me: "No, it´s ok, I dont mind." or "No, it´s ok, I dont mind him". or "I dont mind the song." /are these sentences ok?/

I am at a doctor in a waiting room.
"I dont mind waiting here." /can I say this?/

• S1m0n

English
    Mind; don't mind doesn't mean whether you like or dislike something; it means whether that thing annoys [angers] you. You can dislike something without being angered. Yes, you don't enjoy it. No, you don't hate the experience.

owlman5

English-US
    Me: "No, it´s ok, I dont mind." or "No, it´s ok, I dont mind him". or "I dont mind the song." /are these sentences ok?/
    This sounds like an ordinary way to let somebody know that he or she isn't obliged to turn the radio off just because you are in the room. You are saying that the song doesn't bother you.

I am at a doctor in a waiting room.
    "I dont mind waiting here." /can I say this?/
    This is a reasonable response to the question "Do you mind waiting here?" By itself, that remark wouldn't make much sense.

cross-posted with S1m0n.

MedaBeda

Czech
    This sounds like an ordinary way to let somebody know that he or she isn't obliged to turn the radio off just because you are in the room. You are saying that the song doesn't bother you.

This is a reasonable response to the question "Do you mind waiting here?" By itself, that remark wouldn't make much sense.

cross-posted with S1m0n.
    and if I dont want to say "you are not obliged to turn the radio off" and I just want to say that the song is so-so but I can listen to it, it is better to say "The song doesnt bother me" right ??

MedaBeda

Czech
    and the same with a singer - e.g. I cannot say I like him, but I dont dislike him so when a song from this singer is on, could I say? "The singer doesnt bother me." right?

owlman5

English-US
    and if I dont want to say "you are not obliged to turn the radio off" and I just want to say that the song is so-so but I can listen to it, it is better to say "The song doesnt bother me" right ??
    Right.

and the same with a singer - e.g. I cannot say I like him, but I dont dislike him so when a song from this singer is on, could I say? "The singer doesnt bother me." right?
    Right.

S1m0n

English
    Right. Something that you don't enjoy but are more or less oblivious to can become annoying through constant repetition, but it is also possible that if the repetition is kept just below the annoyance level, you will come to love the song. A million AM radio hits used this formula.

< Previous | Next >