mind/minding one's own business

< Previous | Next >

paieye

English - British
السلام عليكم How are the expressions "Mind your own business !" and "He was minding his own business" translated into Arabic (M.S.A), please ?

• jack_1313

English - Australian
    In MSA we can say لا تتدخّل في شؤون الاخرين or لا تتدخّل في شؤون الغير in the imperative addressed to a male. The verb form will change for other subjects/moods/tenses; for the third person past we will have لم يتدخّل.

There's probably a more casual expression too but I don't know of one.

Edit: spelling

shafaq

Turkish
    Naturally; there are thousand an more ways of saying it.
    Here are some of them:
    "Mind your own business !"
    دعنى وشأنى!
    لا تحشر أنفك في ما لا يخصك!
    إبتعد عن ما لا يعنيك!
    As for "He is minding his own business" same thing applies..
    هو يتجنب عن ما لا يخصه ه
    هو يغض نظره عن ما لا يعنيه ه

paieye

English - British
    Thank you both. As regards "He was minding his own business," the meaning can vary in English, but the one that I have in mind is "He was thinking his own thoughts, and not interfering with anyone else."

Might there be an idiomatic Arabic expression conveying something such as that?

I see that the Reverso website gives for "minding his own business" يتدبر عمله الخاص .

I am not sure about that, I have got a feeling that it is not really an idiomatic Arabic expression, but am hoping that one of the WR community that have been so helpful to me over the years can come to my rescue !

Last edited:

isabomma

Italian
    hello, can I take the chance to ask how would this be in EA: "it's non of your business" or "mind your business"?
    thanks

Isa

Interprete

French, France
    وانت مالك (wenta maalak) is what I have most commonly heard in Egypt, as well as ما لكش دعوة (ma laksh da3wa).

I.K.S.

Moroccan Arabic
    I see that the Reverso website gives for "minding his own business" يتدبر عمله الخاص .
    يتدبر عمله الخاص sounds like "He manages his own work/job " to me ,
    about "He was minding his own business" i would suggest ;كان يهتم بشؤونه الخاصه

But the meaning changes a little bit with this detail you added : "He was thinking his own thoughts, and not interfering with anyone else."
    my understanding and attempt is : كان مستقلا في تفكيره وقراراته , literally in English : He was independent in his thoughts and decisions

< Previous | Next >