Mind (verb): don't mind something

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

I learned on the Merriam-Webster Dictionary online that "mind" (= to care about or worry about something or someone) can be used in sentences like: "“Why is he so angry?” “Oh, don't mind him. He's always complaining about something.” My question: is it natural/correct to use "mind" in the examples (don't mind something) I made below?

a. John: I think she doesn't like me. She hasn't sent me any more messages. Mike: Don't mind it. These things happen.
b. Don't mind what other people think of you.

Thank you in advance!

• Thank you very much. So, "don't mind it" isn't very common, but "don't mind that" is often used. It is really surprising! A simple word, that, makes all the difference in this case. I really didn't know and would never imagine that.

Question: is sentence (b): "don't mind what other people think of you" ? natural/correct?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, sentence (b) is entirely natural and correct.

In the first sentence, think of "Don't mind that." as being short for "Don't mind that situation."

london calling

UK English
    It sounds 100% natural and correct to me.

I suspect that this use of mind is subject to regional variation:cool:
    Seconded.:) We've just had another thread about this. Some Brits don't say "Don't mind the mess" to mean "Take no notice of/pay no attention to the mess" whereas for me it's entirely normal.

< Previous | Next >