mine pit lake


Senior Member
There are a number of lakes in and around Budapest which are basically disused mine pits filled with water. What do you usually call them in English? Mine lake? Pit lake?
  • AndrasBP

    Senior Member
    I see.
    The Hungarian term is a compound noun which literally means "mine lake". However, I couldn't find "mine lake" in any authentic-looking English text, which made me think that perhaps this compound is not used in English. A number of Google hits appeared to be translations from Hungarian or tourist information written by non-native users of English.
    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    There are no mines, and therefore no mine pits where I live.
    Perhaps somebody from a state where mining is an industry will come along and enlighten us.


    Senior Member
    English - US (Midwest)
    An abandoned quarry that has filled with water is a flooded quarry, but I don't think flooded mine can be used in that way.
    < Previous | Next >