mine to lose

< Previous | Next >
  • scrotgrot

English - English
    That could mean loads of things depending on what the character intended.

It could mean:
    - Paul is mine, so nobody else is allowed to care as much as me if he dies.
    - If Paul dies, remember that I will be very distraught as I more or less own him.
    - I'm in a vulnerable position, because I've invested a lot of emotional energy in Paul.

It could also mean:
    - Having not personally taken steps to protect Paul, I fear that he might be dead.

Undoubtedly it could mean plenty of other things, it's a very cryptic, even metaphysical expression. If you could give more context that would be great.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The phrase is usually used of inanimate objects, e.g.
    A: "When you go hiking, keep that book safe."
    B: "Huh! It's mine to lose." = "Don't interfere. It's my book and I will do what I want with it."

In your example, it appears as if Paul might die and Mary is saying,

"Huh! Don't interfere, I am going out with Paul and if he dies what do I care? I can do what I want with him."

scrotgrot

English - English
    Mary would have to be pretty nasty and callous for it to be PaulQ's interpretation, but I think he might be right!

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    If something is mine to lose, I have it now. Whether I get to keep it depends on how I act.

Mary and Paul are romantically involved. If Mary doesn't act appropriately when he's had a car accident, she may/will lose her relationship to Paul.

traduccion2011

Spanish-Spain
    Mary says, 'please don't take him from me, please, please, he is mine, he is mine to lose'.

I do not know if this information helps...

Thanks in advance to all of you!

< Previous | Next >