mingle/socialize/build close terms/build intimacy

< Previous | Next >

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
As a precaution children should never try to mingle/socialize/build close terms/build intimacy with strangers.

Here I just don't know what is the word that I should use. Children should talk to strangers. But shouldn't travel around with strangers. Don't talk about personal details etc.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I think you need to decide more clearly what it is you want to say, before you try to choose which word best describes it. Mingling with strangers can hardly be avoided if one leaves the home, and "building intimacy' is something else entirely.

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    I think you need to decide more clearly what it is you want to say, before you try to choose which word best describes it. Mingling with strangers can hardly be avoided if one leaves the home, and "building intimacy' is something else entirely.
    I think this should work. What do you say?

Children should avoid getting too close with strangers.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We would probably use "to:"

Children should avoid getting too close to strangers.

It's good advice, if rather unhelpfully vague.

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    We would probably use "to:"

Children should avoid getting too close to strangers.

It's good advice, if rather unhelpfully vague.
    What is vague about it? I want children not to talk a lot with strangers. Go to their homes etc. Just keep it to Hi and Hello relationship.

In this case what should I say?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    If you were a child and someone told you: "Avoid getting too close to strangers," what specifically would you understand you should do or not do? That's what I mean by "unhelpfully vague." It's not a useful instruction to a child. It's not even clear whether you're referring to physical proximity or a personal relationship.

If, however, you are using the sentence to preface a list of specifics ("Don't get into a car with someone you don't know," "Never accept candy from a stranger," etc.) then it might be fine.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    You need to be discussing this with children in your common (native) language so that there is no misunderstanding.
    Edit to add that the phrases you suggest are simply not used by native speakers.

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    You could say children should avoid being overly familiar with strangers, I suppose. In my day we were told never to even talk to strangers.;)

Edit. Or: Never trust strangers.

< Previous | Next >