Mingle with

dibbok

bangla bangladesh
"It is almost equally obvious, to a trained intelligence, that it has a great advantage in beauty also; but this advantage is much harder to define or locate, since the main defect of the chess problem is plainly its ‘triviality’, and the contrast in this respect mingles with and disturbs any more purely aesthetic judgement."

This is from Hardy's A mathematicians Apology.

What does Mingle with mean here?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    What do you not understand about the entry in our dictionary (or other dictionaries)?

dibbok

bangla bangladesh
    What do you not understand about the entry in our dictionary (or other dictionaries)?
    Thank you for your kind answer. Nut I am having difficulties in understanding how come this contrasts mingles with 'any more purely aesthetic judgement' . It might be that you are in a superior position to understand things, but poor ones like me need hep. Thank you.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It does not contrast "mingles" with "any more purely aesthetic judgement". "Mingles" in not a noun but a verb, and "contrast" is not a verb but a noun.
    I think he is talking about the contrast between "this advantage" and "the main defect", and he is saying that this contrast mingles with (mixes with) and
    disturbs the aesthetic judgement.

dibbok

bangla bangladesh
    I think he is talking about the contrast between "this advantage" and "the main defect", and he is saying that this contrast mingles with (mixes with) and
    disturbs the aesthetic judgement.
    Thank you so much, it now makes enough senses. It was a big mistake for me to think of the 'mingle with' indicating the last part where I ought look at the contrast... really grateful.

At times it's tough to make people understand where the difficulty really is, since it's not my mother tongue. Thank you for your engagement.

< Previous | Next >