Mingle

lobelia.ophrys

French
Hello everybody,

I wonder if the verb "mingle" works in the following sentence:

"It will lead you in mystifying places where the reverie, the bizarre, the wonderful, the nightmarish and sometimes even the psychosis mingle" ?

Thank you in advance!

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Yes, mingle is fine.

(However, I'm not happy with your mixture of nouns (reverie, psychosis) and adjectives (bizarre, wonderful, nightmarish). It might be better to keep to the same word-form throughout.)

lobelia.ophrys

French
    Yes, mingle is fine.

(However, I'm not happy with your mixture of nouns (reverie, psychosis) and adjectives (bizarre, wonderful, nightmarish). It might be better to keep to the same word-form throughout.)
    Hello Keith,

Thank you very much for your help.

Indeed, a very nice person just told me about the mixture of nouns and adjectives. And as I told him, I was confused when I wrote this because in French, the bizarre, the nightmarish, etc... they are not adjectives if we use "the" (well, LE/LA in French) before, which turns the "adjectives" into nouns. So that's why I thought "the psychosis" would fit that context. But now, I know it's not the case at all :p

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Yes, we do that in English too, but we don't use "the" before those particular nouns in a sentence like this. So you have adjectives with "the" and nouns without, which just sounds odd.

Improve it by removing "the" from reverie and psychosis, or by turning them into adjective-nouns like the others (the dreamlike, the psychotic)

< Previous | Next >