minimum attendance of 25 <pax>

Wookie

Korea, Korean
THE PACKAGES INCLUDE: -

- Complimentary use of function room with minimum attendance of 25 pax
- Complimentary writing pads and pencils

(source)

What does "pax" mean? It doesn't seem to appear in dictionaries.

• xymox

English, French - Canada
    Travel egencies, hotels, banquets, etc. use it to say
    25€/pax which means "per person"
    As Dimcl, I have no idea where that came from.

momowuwen

Chinese
    Hello guys,
    When I am ordering a coupon on a group purchasing site, I meet with such a line “limit 1 Group on per table of 1 to 2 pax.”

What’s the meaning of pax here? I consulted several online dictionaries but no specific result for such a context. Can you give me an explanation?

Thank you!

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It apparently originated in the airline industry, where PAX = passengers.

Here's a comment from another forum:

I suspect PAX is may well come originally from the airline industry. Abbreviations ending in X are quite widely used: WX for weather, CANX for cancelled and so on. I think these may in turn have originated in wireless telegraphy (in morse), where X abbreviations are still used (particularly by ham radio operators), for example TX for transmitter, RX for receiver, DX for distance.
    (My wife used to work as flight operations secretary at Plymouth airport and still writes CANX on our kitchen calendar to indicate events that have been cancelled.)
    Here is the Oxford English Dictionary:
    Pronunciation: Brit. /paks/ , U.S. /pæks/
    Inflections: Plural unchanged.
    Forms: 19– pax, 19– pax. (with point).
    Etymology: Apparently alteration of pass- (in passenger n.), probably originally as graphic abbreviation.

In the travel industry: a passenger. Usu. in pl.

frankofile

American English
    This seems commonly used in Europe and especially east Asia, but note that it is not used by Americans at all (including in the travel industry, to the best of my knowledge).

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    It is used in internal communications in the airline industry.

"Flight 123 cancelled; 25 PAX moved to flight 234".

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ... it is not used by Americans at all (including in the travel industry, to the best of my knowledge).
    It definitely is used by Americans in the airline business and perhaps in other modes of transportation (ship, rail, bus, etc.). I can't speak for the hotel/resort side of the travel industry. "Passengers" wouldn't make sense there, though.

frankofile

American English
    Ah well it's definitely not used outside of those contexts (I'm not military & have never worked in travel) - I never heard or saw it in my life until I started seeing it written by non-Americans in various online forums and such.

< Previous | Next >