miró atontado (verb/adverb)

chileno

Castellano - Chile
What is wrong with the text in bold and why? I will explain later but I want to know your opinion as to why the translation in English is wrong.

Dando tumbos hacia la luz, se detuvo y miró atontado a la izquierda y a la derecha.

Stumbling toward the light, he stopped and looked confusingly to the left, and then to the right.

Thank you.

• Bark

Español de España
    To elaborate Biffo's answer, confusingly would tell you about the action itself, not the state of mind of the subject.

- He looked confusingly to the left -> miró confundidamente a la izquierda.
    - He looked confusedly to the left -> miró confuso/confundido a la izquierda.

I would say "he stopped and, confused, looked left and then right".

Regards,

Bark

chileno

Castellano - Chile
    Confusing​ly would mean "in a way that causes confusion".
    Exactly.

To me:

el miró confundido = he looked confused

el miro confundidamente/atontadamente = he looked confusingly.

And speaking of confused, what about confounded?

:)

En castellano el miró tontamente es totalmente diferente a que mirara atontado.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    el miró confundido = he looked confused
    The trouble with this is that "he looked confused" means he seemed confused, he gave the appearance of being confused,
    while "miró" means he turned his eyes in a certain direction.

el miro confundidamente/atontadamente = he looked confusingly.
    And here, the Spanish says he was a "victim" of confusion, while the English, as I noted above, says he was causing confusion.
    It's a little unusual, but conceivable that one might "look confusingly" by staring at something on the left side in order to distract attention from something on the right side.

< Previous | Next >