Mirar los santos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Nay33, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Nay33 New Member

Britain, english
    Hey, I'm new to this forum jazz, I've got a phrase from a text taken from a book extract "mirar los santos" and apart from the obvious literal translation I haven't got a clue! As well is the phrase "traer a todos en danza" meant to be literal. The text is nothing to do with dancing!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Cleotis

Cleotis Senior Member

Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands
    Spanish (Castellano)
    "Traer a todos en danza" = "To have all people working/doing things" To be "en danza" is to be moving, working, you know, everything but rest.

Can you give more context for the other one?

Saludos,

3. Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain - Spanish and Catalan
    Hi!
    well, without more context the meaning of "mirar los santos" i think is just look at the pictures without reading the book (it use to be quite common for kids to read the lives of saints, with pictures of them, and when they were too young or people couldn't read, that was the only thing they could do, look at them...). My parents still use this expression :)
    "Traer a todos en danza"... i love this expression!!! hehe, as u properly have guessed, has nothing to do at all with dancing... It means something like make everybody worry about it, or involve everybody with it... (usually something not very pleasant, i'm afraid...).
    But, if you give some more context i think i will be able to explain little bit better its meaning...

4. Maruja14 Senior Member

Sevilla - España
    Español - España (Madrid)
    No entiendo qué significa "mirar los santos". Hace falta más contexto.

"Traer a todos en danza" es una expresión que significa que tienes a un montón de gente ocupada en algún asunto tuyo. Es difícil de explicar. Desde luego no tiene nada que ver con el baile. De nuevo hace falta más contexto. Por ejemplo: "para preparar la casa para la fiesta tuve a todos mis amigos en danza" == "todos ayudaron".

Bienvenido al foro

5. kkamannn Senior Member

US of A (Inglés)
    It sounds like "Traer a todos en danza" is similar to getting "people spun up" about something.

6. Nay33 New Member

Britain, english
    Hi again,

Thanks for your replies. To give a little more context the full sentence is " ..un vejestorio, decia Ernestina en la plaza cuando se creía que yo leía el Capitan Trueno y no lo leía, que miraba los santos u escuchaba, que se puede hacer a la vez, eso decía , un vejestorio así y que nos traiga a todos en danza.." The text seems to be about a girl's memories of discovering her real parents. hope this helps, thanks so far!

7. Maruja14 Senior Member

Sevilla - España
    Parece que "mirar los santos" es ver sólo las fotos de las revistas o del libro que estás leyendo. Es decir, no leer, sólo ver las ilustraciones o fotos.

8. Surinam del Nord

Surinam del Nord Senior Member

Madrid
    Español - España
    En ese caso creo que debes fiarte, para mirar los santos, de la sugerencia de Sancho Panza.

(Uniéndome a Maruja, que lo ha escrito antes).

9. Filis Cañí Banned

The hills
    Triana, caló
    I think that it means to be daydreaming, to be in the clouds.

10. Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain - Spanish and Catalan

I think that would be "irse el santo al cielo"...

11. Maruja14 Senior Member

Sevilla - España
    Sí, "se le fue el santo al cielo" es que se despistó, se le olvidó algo, "estaba en las nubes"...

12. Filis Cañí Banned

The hills
    Triana, caló
    Se me fue la olla, sí. Mirar los santos quiere decir pasar las hojas de un libro mirando sólo las fotos o ilustraciones.