misconception or misunderstanding

Khaemwaset

Flamisch - Belgium
I construct a website about ancient Egypt.
In ancient Egypt they were a lot of gods.
Hapy is one of the four Sons of the god Horus.
Hapi is the god of the Nile.
Many Egyptologists use the name Hapi when they describe Hapy, one of the four Sons of Horus.
The sentence is: The use of Hapi and Hapy when speaking about the same god leads to misconception or misunderstanding.
Witch word I must use in the sentence above?
I hope that I respect this time the rules of the forum!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Are you trying to say that the two different spellings of the god's name can lead people to think the names refer to two different gods? If so, "misunderstanding" is a better choice than "misconception," which doesn't work at all. "Confusion" would be even better.

Khaemwaset

Flamisch - Belgium
    Are you trying to say that the two different spellings of the god's name can lead people to think the names refer to two different gods? If so, "misunderstanding" is a better choice than "misconception," which doesn't work at all. "Confusion" would be even better.
    Some Egyptologists use the name Hapy when they speak about one of the Sons of the god Horus.
    Other Egyptologists use the name Hapi when they speak about the same Son of the god Horus.
    The use of different names for the same Son of the god Horus leads to misunderstanding or misconception or confusion.
    Which word is correct?
    Thanks for your help!!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You already have my option, and that of BLUEGLAZE, that "confusion" works best here.

For what it's worth, I don't see "Hapy" and "Hapi" as two different names. The difference is a minor variation in how a vowel sound is transliterated.Surely the grater confusion lies in having two different gods with near-identical names: one (Hapy or Hapi) the son of Horus, and the other (Hapi) the god of the Nile.

< Previous | Next >