miser:stingy :: loner:solitary

< Previous | Next >

jorgecanta47

Spain, native of Spanish
hello!
I have found the following already solved analogies exercise at the GRE and was wondering why there is an analogy between miser:stingy and loner:solitary.

My first shoot is:
X has exactly the same meaning as Y
"miser has exactly the same meaning as stingy"
"loner has exactly the same meaning as solitary"

I just wanted to know if these sentences I have just made are correct. Otherwise, what is the difference in meaning between each word in each pair of words?
Thanks in advance.

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    hello!
    I have found the following already solved analogies exercise at the GRE and was wondering why there is an analogy between miser:stingy and loner:solitary.

My first shoot is:
    X has exactly the same meaning as Y
    "miser has exactly the same meaning as stingy"
    "loner has exactly the same meaning as solitary"

I just wanted to know if these sentences I have just made are correct. Otherwise, what is the difference in meaning between each word in each pair of words?
    Thanks in advance.
    Nope, sorry, I think it's not right, the way you read it.

Miser is someone stingy, just like loner is someone solitary.

Haylette

UK, English
    Yeah, as nihec said, loner and miser are nouns, but stingy and solitary are adjectives.
    You can't describe someone as being "a stingy" or "a solitary", where you can say "a loner" or "a miser"

nichec

Yeah, as nihec said, loner and miser are nouns, but stingy and solitary are adjectives.
    You can't describe someone as being "a stingy" or "a solitary", where you can say "a loner" or "a miser"
    Hmmm.........nihec was sacrificed for the greater good of mankind, including nichec. :D

nichec

Nope, we say "a sweetheart" is someone (who's) sweet, but not "a sweet" is someone "sweetheart" :eek:

I understand that "solitary" can be used as a noun, but it's just a trap here..........(yeap, they aren't nice, those GRE people......:D)

< Previous | Next >