missus - is this word inherently pejorative?

< Previous | Next >

PA_System

Polish
This thread inspired my inquiry.

I've always thought the word "missus" is rather neutral semantically or could even aspire to an endearment. However, after reading the above-mentioned thread I looked it up in an English-Polish dictionary and the definition that I found was the word which is a rather biting term for one's wife. My question is: is the word "missus" pejorative by nature or does it depend on the context, like the thread cited above?

• london calling

UK English
    The missus (or the wife) is not a nice way of referring to one's spouse (I never had that problem, as my late husband was Italian). It can however be a bit of a joke, so it really does depend on the context in which it is used.

ewie

English English
    I certainly wouldn't call it inherently pejorative, any more than referring to one's wife as the/my old lady:)

You little ripper!

Australian English
    'The missus' is very common in Australia and not generally considered a put-down. 'Wifey' is a bit (or a lot) patronizing. I find Rumpole's (from Rumpole of the Bailey) 'she who must be obeyed' amusing.

Last edited:

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Because you use as we often use it now in the UK: jokingly or affectionately. It becomes a put-down when it isn't used like that (a rare occurrence these days, one hopes...)..
    I can't remember the last time I heard it used as a put-down in any situation, lc. It has just become a substitute for 'the wife'. :)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I've always heard it as affectionate rather than a put-down. Almost like 'hubby' for 'husband'.

Sometimes, it can be used neutrally without the in a folksy kind of way ('This is my missus', 'Where's your missus?').

< Previous | Next >