mistook execution

sun 94

Banned
korean
Can I say ' mistook execution'?

The death penalty can lead to the danger of mistook execution.

• Noobster

Urdu&English
    I am totally confused. What do <you> actually want to say in above sentence?

Last edited by a moderator:

sdgraham

USA English
    No "mistook" is not the past participle of the verb "mistake."

"Mistake," however is still the wrong word. I think you want to say that sometimes the executed person was innocent - not that he or she was mistaken for somebody else.

sun 94

Banned
    korean
    I am trying to say that giving death penalty to a suspect can be dangerous because of mistaken execution. Does it sound natural?

sun 94

Banned
    korean
    What do you mean exactly? I am trying to say we can give a death sentence to a innocent person by mistake.

sdgraham

USA English
    The way you wrote the sentence implied that, for example, prisoner A was convicted and sentenced to death, but prisoner B was executed by mistake.

What you are trying to say is that the person executed should not have been convicted in the first place. It's the conviction that's the mistake.

(As an added note: what do you mean by "dangerous?" Dangerous to whom?)

These nuances, I know, can be difficult to learners of English ... and many native speakers find them difficult as well. Good luck.

sun 94

Banned
    korean
    I am trying to say that for example, even though XX did not rape a child, he was sentenced to death for child raping.

JamesM

A "mistaken execution", as others have said, implies that a mistake was made during the execution. There is no mistake made during the execution; the person executed is the person who was sentenced to be executed. You can't really use "mistaken" there. You can say it leads to the execution of innocent people but that is because an innocent person was convicted. The executioner didn't actually shoot or inject the wrong person. The jury convicted the wrong person.

To use another example, imagine a man is misdiagnosed by his doctor as having appendicitis. The surgeons operate on the man to remove his appendix. The surgeons did not mistakenly operate on the man. They were following the diagnosis of his doctor. His doctor misdiagnosed him, which led to an unnecessary surgery. For the surgeons to mistakenly operate on someone they would have to operate on the wrong person or perform the wrong operation, such as amputating the man's leg when he was diagnosed with appendicitis.

soccergal

English - US
    I'm with liliput - I knew "mistaken" was not the right word, and was having trouble coming up with the correct word. As to the discussion as to whether you should refer to the conviction or the execution, I totally disagree with sdgraham. Definitely stay with "wrongful execution". The execution obviously the result of a conviction, so that nuance would be understood.

Andygc

British English
    I'm with liliput - I knew "mistaken" was not the right word, and was having trouble coming up with the correct word. As to the discussion as to whether you should refer to the conviction or the execution, I totally disagree with sdgraham. Definitely stay with "wrongful execution". The execution obviously the result of a conviction, so that nuance would be understood.
    But sdgraham is correct - a wrongful execution is not a mistake. It is a deliberate, intentional act. The conviction may be described as wrongful or mistaken, but the appropriate adjective would depend on the circumstances.

sun 94

Banned
    korean
    I understand but I am still a little bit confused on how to explain what I intend to say. Somone mentioned ' wrongful execution' Then, can I say as follows?

Sometimes death penalty can lead to wrongful execution.

e2efour

UK English
    I understand but I am still a little bit confused on how to explain what I intend to say. Somone mentioned ' wrongful execution' Then, can I say as follows?

Sometimes death penalty can lead to wrongful execution.
    You have left out one important word.

Another way of saying it is "lead to the execution of an innocent person".

BellaDancer

"Wrongful conviction" is a term in general use to describe the conviction of a person who did not commit the crime for which s/he was convicted.

Similarly, "wrongful execution" is used to describe the execution of a person who did not commit the crime for which s/he was executed.

See, for example, the Innocence Project's discussion of the wrongful execution of Cameron Todd Willingham.

< Previous | Next >