Mistress of the Salmon Salt

DeeDol

Slovak
Hi, there is a song by Blue Oyster Cult called Mistress of the Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl). It also appears throughout Galbraith's novel Career of Evil (as a direct quote from the song, so there is no context which would help me understand the meaning). Could you please have a look at the lyrics and tell me what the title means? I do understand the literal meaning of "salmon salt" and "quicklime", but what do they mean metaphorically?

Thank you.

• Loob

English UK
    It makes no sense to me, DeeDol.

The lyrics of songs often make no sense:(.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I have no idea what "salmon salt" might be other than salt used to preserve the fish.

Quicklime is calcium oxide, CaO. It's commonest use of quicklime in the context of death was to dissolve bodies - either in mass graves or within prisons in the case of murderers.

As an aside, this will be useful to you:

Some erroneous lyrics to the song "Mistress of the Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl)" were printed in the remastered version of this album and have been propagated through the Internet. The corrected lyrics as supplied by Albert Bouchard are:
    • "that Duke's joint" should be "that juke joint"
    • "A harvester lifts his arms to the rain" should be "A harvest of limbs, of arms and of legs"

LadyLand

English
    Hi, there is a song by Blue Oyster Cult called Mistress of the Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl). It also appears throughout Galbraith's novel Career of Evil (as a direct quote from the song, so there is no context which would help me understand the meaning). Could you please have a look at the lyrics and tell me what the title means? I do understand the literal meaning of "salmon salt" and "quicklime", but what do they mean metaphorically?

Thank you.
    Hey go to this link,
    Basically Quicklime Girl is a serial killer. I'm reading the same book!

Blue Oyster Cult - Mistress Of The Salmon Salt lyrics | LyricsMode.com
    Several layers of allusion and metaphor here.

"the salmon salt" - a dictionary of American English idiom suggests "salmon" is related to the euphemism "Sam Hill", as in "What the Sam Hill?", or "What the Hell?"
    "What the salmon?" is listed as a 19th century variant, thought to be a corruption of Biblical character Solomon.

It may also be a euphemism for female genitalia, especially in a state of arousal: the association with fish, wetness and salt. The lure used by the Quicklime Girl to draw in her victims - "Mistress of the Salmon Salt". Sexually experienced and knowing how to draw a man to her.

Last edited by a moderator:

harleyman888

english
    The Salmon salts are an area of NYC Near The Whitestone Bridge. The Mistress is a mass murderess. She buries the bodies in her garden. Quicklime is used to have the body decompose faster. The coast guard station is across a small bay from there.