misty rings

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
The misty rings around the streetlamps were gone by the time daylight began to brighten the sky in the east, and by nine o’clock the day was clear and warm –the beginning of Indian summer’s final brief passage, perhaps.
Source: Insomnia by Stephen King

When I googled for images of ‘misty rings streetlamps’’, I get what it seem slike misty spheres than rings. Would I sound dorkable to call misty rings misty spheres?

Thank you.

• The Newt

English - US
    They're two-dimensional halos, at least from the viewer's perspective. They may well be spherical if you could view them from multiple angles.

Jimbob_Disco

British English
    The misty rings around the streetlamps were gone by the time daylight began to brighten the sky in the east, and by nine o’clock the day was clear and warm –the beginning of Indian summer’s final brief passage, perhaps.
    Source: Insomnia by Stephen King

When I googled for images of ‘misty rings streetlamps’’, I get what it seem slike misty spheres than rings. Would I sound dorkable to call misty rings misty spheres?

Thank you.
    'Dorkable'?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :cool::D:eek::oops::rolleyes::);)
    I'd just stick with what it says, if I were you!

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you. Got it. By the way, I don’t fathom the strong reaction to the typo dorkable. I meant to write adorkable (unfashionable or sociably awkward).

jacdac

Lebanese
    I learnt it from a TED video by the well-known linguist Anne Curzan. It is supposed to be a blend of adore and dork. It is a slang word.

Last edited:

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Thank you. Got it. By the way, I don’t fathom the strong reaction to the typo dorkable. I meant to write adorkable (unfashionable or sociably awkward).
    You don’t fathom the strong reaction to a misspelling (and misuse by the way) of a word which one linguist mentioned in one TED talk as an example of obscure slang.
    You must spend a lot of your time being surprised.

lingobingo

English - England
    Wow. There's loads of stuff online about "adorkable", but I'd never heard of it. I'm now forearmed for when it comes up again!

< Previous | Next >