Misure dei letti / bed size

emma g.

English, USA
Hello,

I'm reading apartment advertisements and one of them says:

Camera singola con letto ad una piazza e mezza

I understand that it's a single room with a bed, but what about the rest? Does it mean that the room opens onto a piazza (and a half)?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• GavinW

British English
    It's an "outsize" single bed, half-way between a normal-sized single bed and a double bed. ("Piazza" refers to the amount of space normally required/occupied by a person who is sleeping in a bed.)

stanfal

Italy / Italian
    Hi Emma,

a 'letto a una piazza e mezza' is not a single bed, not even a double bed....it's half way in size! I'm sure someone will provide a proper translation, I just give you the idea of what it is!!!

S.

GavinW

British English
    It would be a "french bed"

bye
    I don't think "French bed" (or "french bed") would be understood in English. I've never heard it. That may not mean much by itself, of course, but it's not in my Collins English dictionary either. It is in my large Websters (US English), but with a different sense: "a short-sheeted bed" (whatever that means, exactly). That makes it sound like something smaller than what we want, though!

emma g.

English, USA
    Okay, I think I understand it. It's bigger than a single bed and smaller than a double bed, right in between.

I've never heard of a French bed either, but when you "short-sheet" a bed it means that you fold the sheet in a way that makes it impossible to get into the bed. (As a practical joke or a trick on someone.)

Thanks for your help.

_forumuser_

Italian
    If I recall correctlly, in the US it would correpond to a full-size bed. It took me years and several sets of unusable bed-sheets to figure this out...:(

Twin = Piazza Singola
    Full = Piazza e mezza (120cm if I remember correctly)
    Queen = Matrimoniale
    King = ??

GavinW

British English
    Okay, I think I understand it. It's bigger than a single bed and smaller than a double bed, right in between.

-- Yep!

I've never heard of a French bed either, but when you "short-sheet" a bed it means that you fold the sheet in a way that makes it impossible to get into the bed. (As a practical joke or a trick on someone.)

-- Nice one! Thanks for the info!

Thanks for your help.

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    If I recall correctlly, in the US it would correpond to a full-size bed. It took me years and several sets of unusable bed-sheets to figure this out...:(
    I checked a few web-sites regarding "standard mattress sizes" and found that in the U.S., a twin (single) mattress is 39 inches wide, while a full is 54". A queen is 60 inches, while a king is 72" (or exactly twice the width of a twin).

So is a "Piazza e mezza" a full or a queen? How wide is a regular "piazza" in Italy?

Elisabetta

_forumuser_

Italian
    I checked a few web-sites regarding "standard mattress sizes" and found that you are correct! In the U.S., a twin (single) mattress is 39 inches wide, while a full is 54". A queen is 60 inches, while a king is 72" (or exactly twice the width of a twin). So a "Piazza e mezza" would be sufficient for two people, if you like to sleep "cozily." ;)

Elisabetta
    The many Saturday afternoons spent in Macy's weren't a total waste of time then! :)

GavinW

British English
    I checked a few web-sites regarding "standard mattress sizes" and found that in the U.S., a twin (single) mattress is 39 inches wide, while a full is 54". A queen is 60 inches, while a king is 72" (or exactly twice the width of a twin).

So is a "Piazza e mezza" a full or a queen? How wide is a regular "piazza" in Italy?

Elisabetta
    Now we're getting somewhere... Except, for all I know, "queen" may well be USE (AmE) only, and even some of the other terms I've never heard (twin instead of single, full instead of ... nothing). In English we have double or king-size, but the latter sounds bigger than a double (which I guess is 72 inches, logically).

fratello

italian Italy
    The italian piazza e mezza is INCH. 63X78 (MAT.160 CM),
    but you could also find INCH. 70X78 (MAT.180 CM).
    The US queen is INCH. 60X80X18 (QUEEN USA) and the king is
    INCH. 78X80 (KING USA).
    there is also tha calif. king INCH. 72X84X18 H (CALIF.KING USA)

these are the fitted sheets standard sizes of bed linen manufacturers.

Akire72

Italian - Italy
    There is also another bed actually. So let's list them all out:

Singolo/1 piazza -> single
    Una piazza e mezza -> single plus half single
    Una piazza e mezza alla francese ->single plus 3/4 of single (I've learnt this after spending good money on wrong "una piazza e mezza" sheet sets!!!)
    Matrimoniale/ 2 piazze -> double

fratello

italian Italy
    The italian piazza e mezza is INCH. 47,2X78 (MAT.120 CM),
    the INCH. 63X78 (MAT.160 CM) is standard double bed.
    The others dates are exact.
    sorry again.

Victoria32

English (UK) New Zealand
    Now we're getting somewhere... Except, for all I know, "queen" may well be USE (AmE) only, and even some of the other terms I've never heard (twin instead of single, full instead of ... nothing). In English we have double or king-size, but the latter sounds bigger than a double (which I guess is 72 inches, logically).
    We use the term Queen size in New Zealand as well...

VL

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    E la lezione di questa discussione: prima di comprare dei lenzuoli in un paese straniero, si deve sempre misurare il materasso. :)

Elisabetta

Akire72

Italian - Italy
    È una de quelle eccezioni che non avrei mai saputo!
    This is a hard one, it derives from a neutral latin word :)

Actually de Mauro says lenzuoli is also correct... Well, lenzuola is more used in my opinion, and in any case you have learnt something new :)

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    In the UK:

- a single bed is 3 ft (90 cm)
    - a double bed is 4ft6 (135 cm that is slightly more than una piazza e mezza)
    - a kingsize is 5 ft (150 cm) and it's the size we'd normally identify as matrimoniale in Italy.
    British double beds are smaller than what we call matrimoniale.

In the USA there's also a queen size 60 in × 80 in / 152 cm × 203 cm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

Last edited:

Hermocrates

Italian & British English (bilingual)
    Le misure tradizionali dei letti e relative conversioni sono un po' complicate, a dire il vero.

Qui c'è uno schemino.

Il "three quarter bed" corrisponderebbe a circa 122 × 198 cm nello UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keroppi73

Italian
    Small Single 190cmx75cm
    Single 190x90
    Small Double 190x120
    Double 190x135
    King Size 200x150
    Super King Size 200x180

nsartor

Just to add to the confusion, one can buy a bed in Italy called a "french" bed which is slightly bigger than a Piazza e Mezza and big enough to sleep a normal size couple but smaller than a "letto a matromoniale" Finding sheets is a PAIN.
    The size is 140x190. If you get matromoniale sheets they are way too big and if you get fitted Piazza e Mezza they won't stretch. Finally had to order on Italian Amazon

nsartor

Ciao Raga, come si dice in inglese "Letto a una piazza e mezza"?
    Piazza e Mezza doesn't really exist in American Beds. Closest would be "Full Size" which is 54 inches x 75 inches. It's a bit bigger than a Piazza e Mezza and can sleep two small/average size people. It's not super common in the USA which usually sticks to Twin(single), Queen and King. Also a thing called California King. Basically you have to buy your bedding in Italy!

Last edited:

barking fellows

italiano e romagnolo
    Hilarious thread. Nothing to add, but I need to correct this:

Lenzuolo: sing.; Lenzuola: plur... Un lenzuolo --> le lenzuola
    Actually, you go or stay under le lenzuola, but you buy or sell or wash or mend i lenzuoli - very same thing as: you sit and eat a tavola and set la tavola for dinner, but you buy or sell or clean or fix il/un tavolo

nsartor

Barking fellows (interesting moniker!), I'm sure you're right but Amazon.it is confused. I can buy a "completo lenzuola"

Amazon.it: lenzuolo piazza e mezza francese - Lenzuola e federe / Biancheria da letto: Casa e cucina

OR I can buy a "lenzuolo matriomoniale"

AmazonBasics - Lenzuolo Matrimoniale in Policotone, 200 fili, bordeaux: Amazon.it: Casa e cucina

Nowhere did i find "i lenzuoli" listed (and I was looking for hours for "un lenzuolo con angoli per un piazza e mezza francese!) Always a "set" in which case it was (le) lenzuola or just the fitted sheet in which case it was (un/il) lenzuolo

So I guess my point is I couldn't buy i lenzuoli

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hi everybody -

Wow what a can of worms I have stumbled onto with this thread. I am not even sure I have seen a consensus despite having read all the posts.

My context is to translate the website of a luxury hotel. There are three bedrooms:

The Italian text:

Una camera matrimoniale, una camera con due letti e una terza camera con letto alla francese (1 piazza e mezza).

OK so luckily I do not need to buy sheets here ;), but I cannot decide what to go with for that third bed. (Worse than Goldilocks, folks!)

Whatever I write needs to convey elegance. And as noted by GavinW in post #5, a French bed doesn't really make sense to native English speakers.

I'm going with double and single (rather than twin) for the first two types, but I really do not know what to put for the piazza e mezza.
    What is the consensus? Full? Queen? Could "oversized single" work?

Thank you for help and patience!

pebblespebbles

italiano
    Hi words, I think the "matrimoniale" bed is a king size bed. This information should be already sowhere in this thread. "Camera matrimoniale" is a bedroom where you could fit a king size bed.
    The " una piazza e mezzo" bed is slightly smaller than a double bed, but I don't know how you can describe it.
    Ciao

pebblespebbles

italiano
    Maybe "small double"'.I found it in a shop that sells mattresses in Ireland , I don't think I can post the link thought. They wrote : double bed 135cm , small double 120cm.
    120 cm is the width of "letto ad una piazza".
    Ciao

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Thank you pebbles - my precise problem is the "piazza e mezza", because there do not seem to be consistent dimensions for it. I found this link:

Le taglie dei letti: classificazione

I think their description has helped me decide that for my context, a bed which is "una piazza e mezza" should be indicated as an "oversized single bed".

I really hope this will be helpful for others in this thread that have perhaps not found a satisfactory translation! :)

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Thank you Mary :) -- the dilemma is that the luxury hotel site I am translating is in Italy, not in England....

If we consider that the measurements for "piazza e mezza" and "letto francese" are given on Wikipedia as
    • letto a una piazza e mezza o letto da prete: largo 120 cm;
    • letto a piazza francese: largo 140 cm;
    And if we further consider the helpful table here Sunvalley Rattan Inc -- it is evident that there really is no satisfactory equivalent term, as has been chewed over for 10+ years in this thread. :eek:

"Una piazza e mezza" and "letto alla francese" are uniquely Italian concepts, so I think we can safely say that there is no equivalent English term, and one must adapt to the needs of the text being translated.

In my case, I need to convey in elegant inviting terms what it is. Lacking a truly satisfactory English term, I am following my instincts (and the description from the the link I inserted in post #46) and going with "oversized single". Otherwise for prospective guests it will not resonate as my client wants to evoke... ;)

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Thank you Pebbles >> helpful link! So we can say that a standard "piazza e mezza" (120cm x 190cm) is the same as what in the UK is a "small double" and smaller (narrower) than the standard "double" in the US.

However, my dilemma is that the luxury hotel that this text is for has indicated that the room with the "piazza e mazza" bed is for one person, so in any case to call it a double would be confusing... :( I really think that "oversized single" is the best term here.

< Previous | Next >