mitre tesoro

< Previous | Next >

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
I'm translating budget line items for a Catholic organization. I have come across restauro mitre tesoro. I can't use "treasure" that way in English. Would it be reasonable to translate it as "restoration of a precious mitre"? That doesn't sound very good. What would be a better way?

Thank you.

• giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    Hi Nunty,
    I think that "restauro mitre tesoro" is shorthand for "restauro delle mitre del tesoro", i.e. the restoration of the mitres belonging to a collection of precious items, such as the ones associated with a saint, for instance.

Nunty

That makes perfect sense, and I see that I should have given it some more thought. :eek:

Thank you, giovannino.

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    You're welcome, Nunty:)
    Do you use "treasure" in this kind of context in English? There are a few Google hits for San/St Gennaro's treasure (in Naples) but mostly on Italian-based English-language websites.

Nunty

I would not, no. (We do talk about "pirate's treasure", but that's a bit different.)

I chose to use "collection", as in a museum's collection. It is not a precise translation, but it expresses what they are talking about, I think.

< Previous | Next >