mix/mixture

< Previous | Next >

sevengem

Chinese
I can't tell the difference between the two.

American culture is a mix of different cultures.

American culture is a mixture of different cultures.

• e2efour

UK English
    There is no difference as far as I know. Mix is a word which marketing people are fond of. An alternative word is blend.

You might also use the less positive term mishmash. :)

sunyaer

Chinese
    We say "he is a mix of white and black", not "he is a mixture of white and black", don't we?

e2efour

UK English
    We also say that someone is a mixture of white and black.
    The only difference I can see is that mix has come into use more recently because it is a short word (compare fax machine with facsimile machine, tele with television).

In the UK we can buy cake mixtures/mixes; in the US I would guess that cake mix is more common.

sunyaer

Chinese
    When we say "someone is a mix / mixture of white and black", what do we really mean? Do we mean "either of his parents is white or black"? Would it be used to mean that "his family came from white and black people, no matter from what generation this has started?

sunyaer

Chinese
    Can we say?

1. He is a mixture/mix of white and black skins.

2 His skin is a mixture/mix of white and black.

e2efour

UK English
    No, 1 makes no sense -- a person cannot be a mixture of skins.
    No. 2 I find a strange expression; it makes me think of a zebra.
    If someone has a white father and a black mother (or vice versa), you can say they are of mixed parentage. I would say this rather than their skin is a mixture of white and black, not because it's offensive but because it's not an accurate way of describing someone (e.g. light-skinned, brown-skinned, dark-skinned).

variegatedfoliage

English - US
    I would not say someone is a mix. It sounds rather offensive, because it's something you might call a dog. You'd be better off with saying someone is biracial or multiracial.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    President Obama's mother was white and his father was black. I would not describe him as being "a mixture of skin colors". I would say that he is of mixed racial parentage.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    I would not say someone is a mix. It sounds rather offensive, because it's something you might call a dog. You'd be better off with saying someone is biracial or multiracial.
    Biracial or multiracial sounds very decent and formal, but less colloquial. Is there a colloquial way to express the same idea with sufficient decency?

< Previous | Next >