mixed marriage/transnational marriage

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I got these two terms from a bilingual material and they mean the same in Chinese. They both mean that a marriage built up by people from different countries. When I looked up "mixed marriage", I found that they mean definitely indifferent.

But I am wondering if this expression also makes sense despite of its basic meaning:

His cousin has a mixed marriage. His cousin is a Chinese while his cousin's wife is from Japan.
His cousin has a transnational marriage. His cousin is a Chinese while his cousin's wife is from Japan.

Are both idiomatic?

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I've never seen "transnational" but have frequently seen mixed, with various "mixtures"
    When the term "mixed marriage" is used in the United States, it's often associated with interracial marriages, particularly of black and white couples. However, the term also defines the union of two people from different religious faiths or different nationalities.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I would call the marriage international, not "transnational".

By the way, we don't say that "a marriage is built up between people from different countries"; we would say that people from two different countries marry.

"Mixed marriage" doesn't mean that people are "indifferent" (look that up). In the US, it usually means marriage between people of different races, such as the marriage of President Obama's parents. The term is a bit old-fashioned, however.

< Previous | Next >