mixture <contains 50% sugar / of 50% sugar>

< Previous | Next >

tvigh

Hungarian
Hi,

My following question is about percents used as quantifiers.
- If a mixture consists of 2 g (grams) of sugar and 2 g of salt, then it contains sugar in 50% and salt in 50%. (I believe this sentence is correct.)
- The mixture contains 50% sugar.
- Prepare a mixture of 50% sugar and 50% salt.
- Prepare a mixture of 50% of sugar and 50% of salt.
(To me, this rather means that 50% of some amount of (the) sugar and half of some unknown amount of (the) salt should be mixed.)

Which sentences above are correct?

• srk

English - US
    I don't know what "in 50%" means. If you replace "it contains sugar in 50%" with "it is 50% sugar", etc., the meaning is clear. That aside, I'd read all of them to mean that half of the mixture is sugar.

If these are your sentences, and you want them to mean that the mixture is half and half, reword them so that an alternate interpretation is impossible. It is true that you can wring an alternate meaning out of the last three if you try.

Edit: Prepare a mixture that is 50% sugar and 50% salt. "Contains" and "of" are what make all of these unclear.

Last edited:

tvigh

Hungarian
    Thank you srk for this explanation.

It is 50% sugar sounds fine, but what if we talk only about some additive or contamination that is present in a small amount in something? Can the same expression be used, such as It is 1% catalyst or It is 1.5% preservative? To me, these sentences sound strange. Could you recommend a verb that would them make sound more natural?

<< Additional questions need their own threads.>>

Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator:

london calling

UK English
    A mixture which consists of 2g of sugar and 2g of salt is 50% sugar and 50% salt ( it contains sugar in 50% and salt in 50% is incorrect).

- The mixture contains 50% sugar.:tick:
    - Prepare a mixture of 50% sugar and 50% salt.
    :tick:
    - Prepare a mixture of 50% of sugar and 50% of salt.
    :cross:

Let me answer a couple of your questions below (the others are not clear to me, I'm afraid):

1. '.....by mixing the acid in an amount of 10% with water' is incorrect. In this case I think we'd be more likely to speak of 'parts': ...X parts acid to X parts water.

2. 10% sugar solution is correct.10%-sugar-containing solution sounds odd to me.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >