mobile/cell phone signal shifting

< Previous | Next >

Cracker Jack

When you are calling someone using a mobile/cell phone and the called party's signal is shifting from 1 bar to a higher amount and then back to 1, you will most likely be unable to hear clearly. Sometimes, the response may be intermittent. The dialogue is not continuous. How do you express this?

''I'm sorry, I don't understand you, you are --------?
''Your signal is ------?

I read somewhere here in WR someone suggesting ''breaking away'' but I am not really sure.

• catlady60

English-US (New York City)
    Might I also suggest: Your (cell/mobile phone) signal is fading (more formal) or You're cutting out (very informal AE).

Last edited:

Cracker Jack

Thanks a lot owlman5 and catlady60. In this case could the word choppy be used? I know that choppy applies only to water or to the surface water of the sea as in choppy water or being wavy. Personally, I think it sounds weird.

catlady60 is it ok to say: ''Your signal is cutting out.'' or ''You are cutting out.''

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks a lot owlman5 and catlady60. In this case could the word choppy be used? I know that choppy applies only to water or to the surface water of the sea as in choppy water or being wavy. Personally, I think it sounds weird.

catlady60 is it ok to say: ''Your signal is cutting out.'' or ''You are cutting out.''
    I think it would be all right to say "the signal is a little choppy now". That might not be a technical term, but people should understand what you mean. I use the phrase myself from time to time.

I can't answer for Catlady, of course. I can tell you that "the signal is cutting out" or "you are cutting out" sound fine.

< Previous | Next >