modelo comercial / excelencia comercial

dg_spain

English - US
Hello: I'm translating a presentation into English. The company is re-vamping its sales force, and talks quite a lot about the "modelo comercial" and achieving "excelencia comercial."

I've looked at a lot of threads, and checked Google, but to my AE ear "commercial model" and "commercial excellence" sound a little strange; it seems to me that we must often use some other term in AE (perhaps "sales model") but I would appreciate any feedback from AE and BE forum colleagues!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

• dg_spain

English - US
    "representante comercial" is another example of the use of this word that I would be tempted to translate as "sales representative" instead of "commercial representative."

Any suggestions or examples?

fenixpollo

American English
    At one of my previous companies, there was an internal Sales Excellence program, and there was lots of talk about our sales model. I think those terms work in this context.

Saludos.

dg_spain

English - US
    Thanks, fenixpollo, as an AE speaker I also feel those terms to be closer to "normal" but I'm also worried because in the presentation they sometimes talk about "modelo comercial" and sometimes talk about "personal de ventas" ... and I'm not sure if there's a differentiation I should also be making.

I appreciate the feedback.

fenixpollo

American English
    Well, one alternative is that the "modelo comercial" sounds more like the company's business model, which could include many factors including marketing, production processes, sales methodology or financial practices.