mon péché mignon

tenign

Ethiopia Amharic
Hi everybody
What is the english equivalent for 'mon peche mignon'
as in 'Une boule de glace chaque apres-midi d'ete est mon peche mignon'.
I am really sorry for the lack of accents,hope it is understandable
cheers!!!

• Bibouillette

France (français)
    Un péché mignon can be translate by weakness
    It's something you really like. We say that for food like chocolate, candies ... ;)

Le chocolat est mon péché mignon.

tenign

Ethiopia Amharic
    Thanks a bunch ,it really helped...I believe France is an ideal place to indulge your chocolate weakness...:)
    Thanks again

kiwi-di

New Zealand, English
    Isn't "vice" a little bit pejorative ? Because "péché mignon" in french is a way to make a failing cute.
    If you're using it about yourself, does it matter if it's pejorative? :) However, you could soften it by saying "my secret vice" (the fact all your friends know about this indulgence is of no consequence to the use of the word secret in this case !).

Nicaoi

Irish English - Rep. of Ireland
    I wouldn't say "vice" is pejorative but it may be a little bit strong for this context. "My secret vice" might be more along the lines of "péché mignon".

englishman

English England
    Hi everybody
    What is the english equivalent for 'mon peche mignon'
    as in 'Une boule de glace chaque apres-midi d'ete est mon peche mignon'.
    I am really sorry for the lack of accents,hope it is understandable
    cheers!!!

"my guilty secret"

Amda Zako

France / French
    "my guilty secret"

that definitely emphasises the secrecy side of things, which is not the case of a péché mignon.

How about:
    Every afternoon, I indulge in a little naughtiness: a single dollop of ice cream.

Otherwise I thought JM Carrère's suggestion of "little indulgence" was the best so far

polaire

English, United States
    I wouldn't say "vice" is pejorative but it may be a little bit strong for this context. "My secret vice" might be more along the lines of "péché mignon".

One could also say "my little vice." 'Vice" adds a note of judgement, but when softened by "little" or "secret," it's rendered fairly harmless.

polaire

English, United States
    Depending on the context, "guilty secret" could be about something serous, although it has a kind of soap-operatic sound.

When Americans want to talk about something relatively innocuous but embarrassing, they're like to use "guilty pleasure."

Example:

"I think Reality TV is stupid, but I can't seem to stop watching it, it's my guilty pleasure."

BAlfson

USA - anglais
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: to polaire!

"Our annual Christmas Carolling Party is a guilty pleasure - we're not doing it as a gift to those we carol, but as a gift to ourselves."

Cheers - Bob