Money box/ piggy bank

< Previous | Next >

nazimou11

arabic, french
Hello guys,

I am wondering which one of these is more common and sounds more natural to you: money box/ piggy bank/ penny ank?

Thank you os much for your help :)

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Originally a money-box in the shape of a pig, the term "piggy bank" has become a lot more general, to refer to any object intended to hold money and with a slot for inserting the money. It is a term used by children, or perhaps by adults to children. It is also used by adults in a frivolous mood, usually figuratively.

In contrast, a "money box" may be simply a box that is intended to contain money, or any box used to contain money.

The term "penny bank" is not familiar to me.

Packard

USA, English
    Just this morning I paid for my breakfast using only coins--nearly $5.00 in coins. I said to the cashier after handing her the coins, "There, you've got my piggy bank."

A piggy bank would normally only hold coins.

A "money box" or more usually a "cash box" would have both coins and paper money.

A piggy bank is a child's bank and my quote was an effort to be amusing (a failed effort, I might add). You would not expect an adult to have a piggy bank; and you would not expect a child to have a money box or cash box.

George French

English - UK
    I used a piggy bank for many a year until it got broken. It was a convenient place to store coins and the foreign stuff . The replacement tin is still my piggy bank.

GF..

The notes are in my wallet... Along with the plastic....

< Previous | Next >