Money is a good lever.

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

My teacher told me if we wanted to use a good expression to describe "Money is useful", we can say it metaphorically:

Money is a good lever.

I don't understand why he used lever but he said I can surely use it to foreigners, you will understand. Do you understand it?

By the way, this is not the old-fashioned teacher, a new one, that one was sacked because I kept annoying the headmaster.

Thanks a lot

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Yes I understand it perfectly. It means that you can get things done more easily if you have money.The metaphor is the use of a lever to give extra power to lift or move heavy objects. However, "Money is very useful" is perfectly good too although not very interesting.

Here's another idea- " Money can move mountains". I like the 3 m's here. You can use other words instead of money "Faith can move mountains" or "Love can move mountains", meaning achieve the impossible.

Hermione

:)

se16teddy

English - England
    Yes, the lever metaphor (especially in the form of the noun leverage) is very common in media discussions of politics and economics. In fact, arguably the metaphor is becoming so common that it is no longer a metaphor, but a new meaning of the word: see this new addition from 1997 to the OED's definition of lever:
    b.figurative, specifically in the phrase to pull the lever and variants, to activate, experiment with, or facilitate the means or agency of making something happen.

Last edited:

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Or, 'money speaks ... (all languages)'.
    Hello, everyone.

I have a new question:

The local football club has hired Jordi Cruijff as their new manager to help them survive in the first league, but for many people, as well as me, Jordi Cruijff came to my city simply for money because the team sucks and they don't know how to play football. When I first saw the news that this man was coming here to be the coach, I said:

Money speaks all the languages.

I wonder if it's used correctly.

< Previous | Next >