Money is worth what you make it worth.

< Previous | Next >

PinPickles

English
I'm talking to an acquaintance by email, and I tried telling them I recently learned that money is worth what you make it worth, since we live in a fiat currency world. We've been communicating in English, and they've been using machine translation. They couldn't make heads or tails of that sentence.

(Surprise) machine translation hasn't been much help for me either. Best I've been able to come up with is お金は私達がそれに価値を持って作るものを価値がある。I'm not sure if that actually makes sense though. Can you please help me?

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    The adjective worth does not have an immediate equivalent (being an adjective and taking a direct object, with a similar meaning) in Japanese, so you need to improvise. I took the liberty of slightly departing from your original construction but here it goes:
    お金の価値は、私たちがそれにどれだけの価値をもたせるかで決まる。
    The worth of money (I'd prefer currency (= 通貨) but it's probably besides the point) is determined by how much worth we make it have.

PinPickles

English
    THANK YOU

I'm cool with using the word for currency; probably carries over my original meaning better.

Can I just replace お金 with 通貨 and keep everything else the same?

PinPickles

English
    Thanks for the help. I went ahead and used your suggestion. I think they got it.

I've been thinking about it some more, does "我々が 値打ちを 稼ぐ 貨幣は 値打ち。" make sense too?

Last edited:

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Sorry, but the last sentence is incomprehensible. The word order is not right, and perhaps you mistake parts of speech for some words. How would you say the same in English?

PinPickles

English
    Thanks. I used your suggestion with my acquaintance. I think they finally understood what I meant. :) I've just been thinking some more about how to translate it:

money-topic 貨幣は
    is worth-verb 値打ち
    "what we make it worth" - object

Within the relative clause "what we make it worth":
    we - subject 我々が
    make-verb 稼ぐ
    worth-object 値打ちを

Jisho.org says 値打ち can be used as both a noun and verb: 値打ち - Jisho.org

Putting it all back together I get "我々が 値打ちを 稼ぐ 貨幣は 値打ち"

I'm obviously still a beginner, that was my best guess how sub-clauses work. Anyway, that is what I was thinking. Thanks for helping me.

Last edited:

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I won't correct the sentence because it's too broken to fix by amending the following two points, but for your future reference:
    1. The Japanese word order is SOV.
    2. 値打ち is not a verb.

j-Adore

English (BrE)
    Something like お金の価値は、あなた自身が決めるもの。sounds concise and natural here.

Meaning: Even if you were a millionaire, money might not matter much to you. That's all for you to decide.

< Previous | Next >