Money talks

< Previous | Next >

Panpan

England, English
Ciao a tutti

Is there an equivalent phrase to 'Money talks' in Italian. I suppose a literal translation would be 'parlano, i soldi'. Would that make any sense in Italian?

Thanks

Panpan

• skjc

england, english
    my guess and it is only a guess is: colloqui dei soldi (?)

la mia ipotesi è una ipotesi soltanto è: colloqui dei soldi (?)

motobliquo

Napoli/it-en-fr-de-sp-po
    Panpan said:
    Ciao a tutti

Is there an equivalent phrase to 'Money talks' in Italian. I suppose a literal translation would be 'parlano, i soldi'. Would that make any sense in Italian?

Thanks

Panpan
    Yes, P.
    Your translation, at once, is not too bad...Even if I think that «I soldi parlano» (or Il denaro parla) suonds better.
    Can You please make some examples? Maybe I can find an equivalent if you show me the context...the occasion when the sentence is used.
    Bye, R.

skjc

england, english
    money talks means that the rich can have what they want or indeed do what they want because their money is 'talking' for them. In otherwords the money is saying I am rich.

parlano i soldi voule dire che il ricco possono avere cio che vogliono o in effeti fanno cio che vogliono perche i loro soldi parlano. In altre parole i soldi dicono sono ricco.

Alfry

Italian
    skjc said:
    money talks means that the rich can have what they want or indeed do what they want because their money is 'talking' for them. In otherwords the money is saying I am rich.

parlano i soldi voule dire che il ricco possono avere cio che vogliono o in effeti fanno cio che vogliono perche i loro soldi parlano. In altre parole i soldi dicono sono ricco.
    if so, I'd say "far parlare i soldi al proprio posto" that is, you make money talk for you.

is it right?

could you, please, make an example?

grazie
    Ciao

motobliquo

Napoli/it-en-fr-de-sp-po
    My father used to sayMoney is the voice of men or For every thousand lire, a science degree : i.e. the more one owns the more is free to say anything he likes; and Money helps blindmen to see again ....All these expresions are not in national languages unfortunately. so: do you need something in italian or a neapolitan saying can suit you as well?
    Please, pardon my «Haste makes waste» English.
    Bye,
    Raffaele

skjc

england, english
    For me it is not a phrase that you can put in a sentence it is more of a comment/statement.

Let us say that there is only one place left at a restaurant and two people arrive at the same time. One person is unknown and the other person is Bill Gates. The restaurant owner is more likely to give the last place to Bill Gates.

Well there may be many reasons but one reason is that 'Money Talks'.

So if at the same time there are two people passing the restaurant and they see this happening then one may say to the other - "money talks".

I hope this is clear? Later I will put this in Italian but I have not time at the moment and my Italian is still a bit slow - sorry.

Alfry

Italian
    skjc said:
    So if at the same time there are two people passing the restaurant and they see this happening then one may say to the other - "money talks".
    then I'm afraid there is no equivalent expression in Italian....
    the only thing that come to my mind is "il potere del denaro (dei soldi)" but it is different from "money talks" = "ha parlato il denaro"... at least no Italian would say so.

Silvia

Italian
    Alfry we do have an expression... which is "il dio denaro" with no further explanation...

"Il dio denaro" stresses the addressee of money more than the rich, in skjc's example it's a comment about the owner of the restaurant, who is like a puppet for money.

The following has nothing to do with money talks:
    Also we have "carta canta" for papers talk (or better the paper is the proof as in scripta manent).

Alfry

Italian
    Silvia said:
    Alfry we do have an expression... which is "il dio denaro" with no further explanation...
    giusto... I forgot about that...
    but it's not frequent, or at least I should say that I haven't heard about that so many times.

Panpan

England, English
    Thank you all for your replies, I didn't mean to abandon the thread, but have had some computer troubles. (Fdisk, format, reinstall...)

The example I had in mind was 'I know he promised to sell to me, but I do not blame him for accepting a higher offer, after all, money talks'. In the sense that the vendor cannot afford to allow sentiment to dictate who he sells to, he must sell at the highest price obtainable.

Sylvia, thanks for the correct phrase, and I will be grateful if you would confirm that it is appropriate in this context.

Grazie a tutti

Panpan

Just for interest's sake, I just did a search on the phrase 'il dio denaro', and found a poem by this name here: http://www.giuliaoccorsio.it/Poesie/Germogli/Il Dio denaro.htm

Panpan

Last edited by a moderator:

Silvia

Italian
    Well, Panpan, I wouldn't use it, since it sounds a little excessive to me in that case. Given your example, we use another phrase, why don't you give the phrase right away next time? ;)

I would say "(si sa) gli affari sono affari", but maybe someone else can come out with something better :)

urmortgageguy

CT
    USA English
    If I understand Panpan correctly maybe I can provide more context to help the native Italians give a better translation. The complete expression is sometimes expressed as, "money talks:thumbsup:, bullshit walks:arrow:" or, "this is business, not personal".
    The success of the transaction is not dependent upon anything else other than cash in hand right now, not friendship, history, wealth, reputation etc.
    If you walk into a restaurant with money in hand and there is one table left, and Bill Gates is looking for a favor because of "who" he is... he/she who can pay right now, wins.

Panpan, if I have misunderstood I apologize.

leenico

U.S.A. english
    If you walk into a restaurant with money in hand and there is one table left, and Bill Gates is looking for a favor because of "who" he is... he/she who can pay right now, wins.
    I wouldn't bet on that one urmortgageguy. Bill Gates has a lot of influence & even if he had no money on hand I am pretty sure he would get the table. ;)

Panpan

England, English
    Thanks urmorgageguy Sylvia and leenico.

Yes, that is roughly what I meant, a phrase to show I understand that this is business, not personal, and that I can't, or won't, match the higher price that the seller is claiming someone else has offered.

Thanks

Panpan

Panpan

England, English
    carlocoen said:
    Perhaps "i soldi parlano da soli" or even "il denaro puo' tutto" (both expressions apply perfectly to the Bill Gates example)
    'Money speaks on its own', or 'money talks for itself' for the first one? That would be just about perfect.

The second I don't quite understand as it seems to mean 'money can everything'. Does this imply money can do anything (you can do anything if you have money), or does it mean more like money can buy anything?

Many thanks

Panpan

motobliquo

Napoli/it-en-fr-de-sp-po
    Panpan

I think that “I soldi parlano da soli” is well done with “money speaks on its own” i.e. money doesn't need any mouth to talk, but its.
    Ciao
    R.

leenico

U.S.A. english
    The second I don't quite understand as it seems to mean 'money can everything'. Does this imply money can do anything (you can do anything if you have money), or does it mean more like money can buy anything?
    The implication is that if you have money you can buy anything, or anyone. In reality this is not necessarily true. There are many people with high values that cannot be bought. ;)

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Ciao a tutti!

C'è una famosissima (e bella) canzone degli AC/DC che si intitola proprio "moneytalks", il cu ritornello dice:

"Come on, come on, love me for the money
    Come on, come on, listen to the moneytalks"

vedo però che in moltissimi siti online Moneytalks è scritto tutto attaccato (in altri - la minoranza - è scritto staccato). Il significato cambia?

Grazie

< Previous | Next >