Monica Lewinsky -- patient 0 [zero]

James Zhang

China/Chinese
Dear all

The fight getting fierce in the u.s. politics circle and Monica Lewinsky is back in the headlines...:)

And what does it mean when she said people refer to her as patient 0?

thanks
James

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think it's "patient zero", but we still need to know where you found the expression and what was Lewinski talking about when she referred to herself as "patient zero". The complete sentence is required, if you please.

James Zhang

China/Chinese
    Foxnews, the GOP's tongue, reported today that Monica attended a campaign calling for public attention to "compassion deficit", where she mentioned her affair with Clinton, saying:
    I fell in love in my boss, who was the US president. Overnight, i turned from being a private figure to a publicly humiliated one, i was the patient zero. they call me tart, trap, slut, bimble, .....

Biffo

English - England
    I think that she is referring to herself. She says that in reality she was a zero, a nothing who worked/waited patiently in the background.

She was a zero who was patient.

That's my interpretation.

EDIT - I was wrong. See later post by Cagey.

Last edited:

Biffo

English - England
    By zero she means she is an ordinary person, but what does she mean by calling herself a "patient"?
    Under my interpretation, she she is not 'a patient' (noun), she is 'patient' (adjective).

patient adj.
    1. able to control one's feelings in spite of annoyance, misfortune, etc., without complaining.
    2. continuing to work steadily; diligent;
      steady.
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/patient

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    When an illness or disease enters a country, researchers tracing the history of the disease's spread look for 'patient zero', the first person known to have the disease.

Monica Lewinsky is using the term figuratively, calling herself "Patient Zero" of cyberbullying, because, as she sees it, she was "“The first person to have their reputation completely destroyed worldwide via the Internet.”

Source: Forbes.com: "Monica Lewinsky Speaks: 'It's My Mission To End Cyberbullying.'"
    (Oct, 20, 2014)

Biffo

English - England
    When an illness or disease enters a country, researchers tracing the history of the disease's spread look for 'patient zero', the first person known to have the disease.

Monica Lewinsky is using the term figuratively, calling herself "Patient Zero" of cyberbullying, because, as she sees it, she was "“The first person to have their reputation completely destroyed worldwide via the Internet.”

Source: Forbes.com: "Monica Lewinsky Speaks: 'It's My Mission To End Cyberbullying.'"
    (Oct, 20, 2014)
    Interesting. I was way off track then.

< Previous | Next >