#2:"Monologue"
#1:"Monologue,first guest."
#3:"Monologue, first guest, bad sketch."
#2"Monologue,first guest, bad sketch،funny zoo animal"
#1:"Monologue,first guest،bad sketch,funny zoo animal،Steve Lawrence."

Whats mean This Conversation?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It clearly refers to the sequence of items in a late-night television show (one single show, by the sound of it, rather than a succession of shows). I expect one of our American members will identify exactly which show it is, for it seems the descriptions are meant to have been recognised by the original viewers of Boy Meets World.

Last edited:

The Newt

English - US
    The idea seems to be that the answers to the question "How late did you stay up?" are implied by how much of the show the various people watched. The monologue would be the first part of the show, and would be followed by the first guest etc.

mi2son

persian
    The idea seems to be that the answers to the question "How late did you stay up?" are implied by how much of the show the various people watched. The monologue would be the first part of the show, and would be followed by the first guest etc.
    It clearly refers to the sequence of items in a late-night television show (one single show, by the sound of it, rather than a succession of shows). I expect one of our American members will identify exactly which show it is, for it seems the descriptions are meant to have been recognised by the original viewers of Boy Meets World.
    I THINK THEY TALK ABOUT Saturday Night Live

WHAT do you Think?

Chasint

English - England
    In more detail:

#1 say:"OK, so how late did you stay up last night.
    #2:"Monologue" (I was watching TV and I watched as as far as the monologue.)

By now #1 has guessed that his friend was watching a stereotypical (or specific) late-night talk show.

Now the friends play a game. They know the formula for this type of show.

#1:"Monologue,first guest." (and after the (humorous) monologue comes the first guest on the show)
    #3:"Monologue, first guest, bad sketch." (and after the first guest we always have an unfunny comedy sketch)
    #2"Monologue,first guest, bad sketch،funny zoo animal" (and after the sketch the late-night show always has a funny zoo animal)
    #1:"Monologue,first guest،bad sketch,funny zoo animal،Steve Lawrence." (and after that we have an appearance/interview with Steve Lawrence. Note: Presumably Steve Lawrence is the default guest on a lot of late-night shows. I don't watch US late-night shows so I don't know.)

Myridon

English - US
    I THINK THEY TALK ABOUT Saturday Night Live
    It's probably "The Tonight Show" or one of the other week night talk shows. SNL is unlikely to have old-school crooner Steve Lawrence (although he was once impersonated by Mike Myers). The late night talk shows frequently have zookeepers with animals as guests.

< Previous | Next >