1. yecido Senior Member

In Colombia we have this fruit called MORA, I am used to say in English Blackberry, but these ladies from England insist MORA is RASPBERRY.Isn´t raspberry frambuesa? who is right or wrong ?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. galesa Senior Member

mallorca
    english wales
    Raspberry: Frambuesa (rojo)
    Blackberry : mora (negro)

3. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Al menos en los EEUU tienes. razo'n.

4. yecido Senior Member

Thanks people,and Raspberry in Spanish ?

5. galesa Senior Member

mallorca
    english wales
    Raspberry:Frambuesa

6. Rasmus1504 Senior Member

Dinamarca
    Danés
    I'm sitting in Colombia with a jugo de mora and it looks pretty red to me. Could it be that mora= raspberry here?

7. grindios Senior Member

USA
    English
    In Honduras, jugo de mora is a dark red. I never saw an actual mora there to confirm it was a blackberry or a raspberry. I think sometimes the word mora might depend on which country you're in, but galesa gave the correct translations.

8. brightlight Senior Member

Spain
    English
    We also call a bramble "mora" and a bramble is like a black raspberry, I used to collect them in the UK in summertime on country lanes.

9. SydLexia Senior Member

London, EU
    UK English
    I think many people in the UK would call those "blackberries" and the action "to go blackberrying".

Bramble - Wikipedia

(and just to complicate things, according to the article "bramble" may mean "raspberry" in the US)

syd

10. Ciprianus Senior Member

Castellano Argentina
    Las moras son el fruto de los árboles (morales o moreras/mulberries) del género morus (16 especies) y de arbustos o zarzas del género rubus (350 especies).
    En otra palabras, lo más que se puede decir, sin hacer referencia a su nombre en latín, es que una mora probablemente sea, en inglés, una xxxberry de alguna clase.

11. quethibum

quethibum Senior Member

France
    Castellano peruano
    Para completar la info de Ciprianus, en esta página colombiana dicen que el nombre científico de lo que ellos llaman mora es "Rubus glaucus", y en Wiki en inglés ponen lo siguiente:
    "Rubus glaucus, commonly known as Mora de Castilla or Andean Raspberry, is a species of blackberry found in Latin America from Oaxaca to Bolivia, including the northern and central Andes. It similar to a loganberry in terms of taste and utility."
    ¡A ver si alguien puede confirmar esta información!

12. elcanarioinglés Senior Member

Woodcutts, Wessex
    English English
    And yes, blackberry juice is red, not black. Doesn't stop them being blackberries.
    Just like you can get red wine from white grapes.

13. Ciprianus Senior Member

Castellano Argentina
    Los nombres más comunes que encuentro para la variedad rubus glaucus son mora de Castilla y Andes berry.

14. brightlight Senior Member

Spain
    English
    Seems that the US and American use of vocabulary regarding fruit is very very different from UK English. A blackberry is similar to a bramble in the UK and a bramble is what you call Zarzamora in Spanish. A raspberry (frambuesa in Spanish) in England is a red fruit that is normally grown in gardens or by farmers and looks like a bramble, but it is not a wild fruit like a bramble is. http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/bramble-agg (a bramble is only red while it is not ripe). https://www.organicfacts.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Raspberry11.jpg, A blueberry is a smooth dark skinned fruit and normally is grown in the US and imported to Europe, though some souther parts of Europe are also growing them now.