moral kidnapping/abduction

< Previous | Next >

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

In Chinese, we have a phrase, which can be literally translated into "moral kidnapping/abduction". I don't know whether you have heard of this term. If not, do you understand what it tries to convey?

It is hard for me to define its meaning. I try this: the act of putting pressure on a person or a group of people to do something (morally good, generally speaking) they don't what to do by making them feel guilty.

It's fine to force people not to do something evil or bad. For instance, somebody is stealing, and you can force him to stop doing it. It is fine and laudable.
It's not very right, according to some people, to force people to do good. In their opinion, people should be allowed to choose to do or not do good. I need to distinguish two kinds of good: one is good that everybody should do, like obeying the law, and the other is good that people are encouraged to do, like donating money to a philanthropic organization. Of course, there must be other types of good. For instance, an agent from a philanthropic organization, comes to your home and asks you to donate money to orphaned kids. If you don't donate, they might reproach you to make you feel guilty. In that case, we can call the agent's action "moral kidnapping".

Do you have a term for this?

Thank you very much.

• < Previous | Next >