moral pamphlet

< Previous | Next >

SoudainTresLoin

France
Can I use the phrase "a moral pamphlet" to speak of a text that is overly moralizing and very puritan ?

ex: The novel is not a moral pamphlet, contrary to what many critics have suggested.

(= a moral reading of the novel is not adequate)

Does the phrase "moral pamphlet" work here?

• JamesM

I would think that "moral pamphlet" describes the pamphlet as having the characteristic of being moral. "Moralizing" would be much more straightforward, in my opinion, if you wanted to communicate that the novel is (or is not) filled with moralizing.

There is an exception to this, now that I think a bit more about it. We do say "a moral tale" to mean a story whose specific function is to present a moral lesson.

Saltant

England, English
    Yes, it does give the impression of being a pamphlet attributed with morality.

Would 'pamphlet on morality' be too cumbersome?

I think moralizing pamphlet works.

Didactic?

JamesM

"pamphlet" is a small tract or handout with only a few pages. It does seem a little odd to use "pamphlet" when describing a book, at least to me, unless your intention was to characterize it as a superficial piece of work designed to promote a particular position or stance. If "pamphlet" is being used sarcastically, in other words, I think it works. It would be similar to me to saying, "Have you read War and Peace?" "Oh, yes, I have; what a dreary little pamphlet."

Saltant

England, English
    Try selection of a word which conveys additional characteristics of the novel you are critiquing.

Pamphlet, handbook/guidebook, tome, work, writing, opus, tract, treatise?

< Previous | Next >