Mordensaggio

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by jgray27, Oct 5, 2018.

1. jgray27 New Member

English
    Hello! I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the Italian term "mordessaggio" might refer to. It is from an article dealing with ancient textile production... The entire phrase is:

"Le attività di lavaggio, mordessaggio e tintura potevano essere eseguite sia sul filato (quindo dopo la filatura), sia sulla stoffa (quindi dopo la tessitura)."

My attempt: The activities of washing, XXXXXXXXXXXXX and dying could be carried out either on the yarn (thus after spinning) or on the fabric (thus after weaving).

I cannot find any reference to the term "mordessaggio" ANYwhere!

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Hello
    Are you sure that's the correct spelling?

3. jgray27 New Member

English
    Yes, this is how it's written in the article. I questioned the spelling as well. Any thoughts on similar words?

4. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    Hi,
    I think it could be "mordensaggio", that is the action of applying a mordant to the fibers to fix the dye:
    Mordant - Wikipedia
    https://nptel.ac.in/courses/116104046/14.pdf
    Medieval Textiles - The History Vault "The typical dyeing procedure used for most plant- or insect-based dyes consists of two steps: mordanting and dyeing. During mordanting, the textile is treated with metal salts such as alum (which contains aluminium). The metal salts bind themselves to the fibres; during the next step, the dyeing step, the colouring substances from the plants in turn bind to the metal".

5. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Welcome, jgray27!
    Mary49, you are an invaluable resource!

6. jgray27 New Member

English
    Wow, that must be it! Thank you very much for your help. I greatly appreciate it.