Mordensaggio

jgray27

English
Hello! I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the Italian term "mordessaggio" might refer to. It is from an article dealing with ancient textile production... The entire phrase is:

"Le attività di lavaggio, mordessaggio e tintura potevano essere eseguite sia sul filato (quindo dopo la filatura), sia sulla stoffa (quindi dopo la tessitura)."

My attempt: The activities of washing, XXXXXXXXXXXXX and dying could be carried out either on the yarn (thus after spinning) or on the fabric (thus after weaving).

I cannot find any reference to the term "mordessaggio" ANYwhere!

• jgray27

English
    Yes, this is how it's written in the article. I questioned the spelling as well. Any thoughts on similar words?

Mary49

Italian
    Hi,
    I think it could be "mordensaggio", that is the action of applying a mordant to the fibers to fix the dye:
    Mordant - Wikipedia
    https://nptel.ac.in/courses/116104046/14.pdf
    Medieval Textiles - The History Vault "The typical dyeing procedure used for most plant- or insect-based dyes consists of two steps: mordanting and dyeing. During mordanting, the textile is treated with metal salts such as alum (which contains aluminium). The metal salts bind themselves to the fibres; during the next step, the dyeing step, the colouring substances from the plants in turn bind to the metal".

< Previous | Next >