New Member
Hello! I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the Italian term "mordessaggio" might refer to. It is from an article dealing with ancient textile production... The entire phrase is:

"Le attività di lavaggio, mordessaggio e tintura potevano essere eseguite sia sul filato (quindo dopo la filatura), sia sulla stoffa (quindi dopo la tessitura)."

My attempt: The activities of washing, XXXXXXXXXXXXX and dying could be carried out either on the yarn (thus after spinning) or on the fabric (thus after weaving).

I cannot find any reference to the term "mordessaggio" ANYwhere!
  • jgray27

    New Member
    Yes, this is how it's written in the article. I questioned the spelling as well. Any thoughts on similar words?


    Senior Member
    I think it could be "mordensaggio", that is the action of applying a mordant to the fibers to fix the dye:
    Mordant - Wikipedia
    Medieval Textiles - The History Vault "The typical dyeing procedure used for most plant- or insect-based dyes consists of two steps: mordanting and dyeing. During mordanting, the textile is treated with metal salts such as alum (which contains aluminium). The metal salts bind themselves to the fibres; during the next step, the dyeing step, the colouring substances from the plants in turn bind to the metal".
    < Previous | Next >