more effective in retaining grammar than stressing on practice

< Previous | Next >

Ala'

Arabic
Hi!
Could you tell me if this structure is correct:
- Developing learners' awareness of grammatical features can be more effective in retaining grammar than stressing on practice.
Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us a little context for the sentence, so we can better understand what you're trying to say. Also, which part of the sentence structure most troubles you?

Ala'

Arabic
    I want to say that teachers should focus on raising their students' awareness of grammar because it helps them retain information more than practice does [= practice does not make perfect].

Also, which part of the sentence structure most troubles you?
    Developing learners' awareness of grammatical features can be more effective in retaining grammar than stressing on practice.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    The problem with that structure is that it can be unclear what is being compared. Here's a simpler example:

Eating green vegetables is more effective at promoting health than (at) satisfying a sweet tooth.
    Eating green vegetables is more effective at promoting health than eating candy (is).

Without the help of one of the words in parentheses, the reader has to work out which option makes for a more logical sentence. The task in your sentence is harder because it's not entirely clear what "stressing on practice" means.

The way you've explained the sentence in #3 is much clearer than your original sentence.

se16teddy

English - England
    I want to say that teachers should focus on raising their students' awareness of grammar because it helps them retain information more than practice does [= practice does not make perfect].
    This version is infinitely better than your original attempt. It puts the meaning into vivid verbs rather than stodgy nouns.

< Previous | Next >