More importantly were the people [Postpone subject?]

< Previous | Next >

deivdave

Español-argentino
Hello everyone, is this sentence right? im not sure whether the postion of the subject is right or not. Should i rephrase the sentence?

"More importantly were the people who came here"

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, DD. You can certainly place the subject where you did in that sentence. Doing this gives special emphasis to "more important" (it should not be "more importantly"): More important were the people who came here. :thumbsup:

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. It is called "inversion". You have inverted the ordinary positions of the subject and the verb.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Firstly, there is the general strategy of fronting. You move an element to the front of the sentence to give it emphasis.

(1) I saw John at the back of the room. --> At the back of the room, I saw John. OR John I saw at the back of the room.
    (2) The rabbit hopped down the road happily. --> Happily hopped the rabbit down the road. OR Happily, the rabbit hopped down the road. OR Down the road, the rabbit hopped happily OR Down the road hopped the rabbit happily.
    (3) A beautiful bed was at the back of the room. --> At the back of the room was a beautiful bed.

Sometimes, the verb comes after the fronted element. (In this case you can also talk about inversion.) In example (1), there is fronting with no inversion. In example (2), there is fronting with optional inversion. In example (3), there is fronting with obligatory inversion.

< Previous | Next >