more modes than you can shake a fist at

< Previous | Next >

seeeker

• S1m0n

English
    "More X than you can shake a fist at" is a weird expression that means "a lot of X". "Modes" means something like "ways to play the game."

lingobingo

English - England
    The standard expression is more [whatever/s] than you can shake a stick at, not a fist! This makes sense, in that the American Heritage Dictionary describes “shake a stick at” as slang for “point out, designate, or name”.

seeeker

The standard expression is more [whatever/s] than you can shake a stick at, not a fist! This makes sense, in that the American Heritage Dictionary describes “shake a stick at” as slang for “point out, designate, or name”.
    Thank you for your valuable input, lingobingo. This is an important observation.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    The standard expression is more [whatever/s] than you can shake a stick at, not a fist!
    :thumbsup:
    the American Heritage Dictionary describes “shake a stick at” as slang for “point out, designate, or name”.
    :confused:
    I would qualify the AHD's definition:
    "shake a stick at" does not have meaning outside of the expression "more [something] than you can shake a stick at",
    meaning a great quantity of something.
    In other words, we cannot say "John shook a stick at some of the problems in the plan.":cross:

lingobingo

English - England
    Just to confirm that Cenzontle is right and the phrase is only used in the construction “more somethings than you can shake a stick at”, despite the dictionary definition I quoted in #4.

Even the very earliest example cited in the OED uses that idiom:
    1818 Lancaster (Pa.) Jrnl., 5 Aug., 3/1 — We have in Lancaster as many Taverns as you can shake a stick at.

And of course it’s perfectly valid to talk of shaking your fist at something or someone, but that’s not actually related to this idiom.

srk

English - US
    And of course it’s perfectly valid to talk of shaking your fist at something or someone, but that’s not actually related to this idiom.
    If it is a play on the original, then "more modes than you can shake a fist at" is certainly related to the idiom. That's what I meant by "an intentional alteration." I could be wrong about the the reason for the wording, (and I could be wrong to think your comment has anything to do with mine.)

lingobingo

English - England
    My little addendum was just meant as an acknowledgement that “shake a fist [at]” has its own literal meaning. But you may be right about its being meant as a pun in the OP example, which seems to be a review of a video game so is presumably by a professional writer. I’m sure that’s not normally the case, though, when someone uses fist instead of stick in the set phrase.

lingobingo

English - England
    Re the modern expression “more ………… than you can shake a stick at”, I’ve just found myself quoting (when mentioning the archaic expression “sticking full”), an OED entry citing something that looks like it may be the origin of it:

STICK
    9. intransitive. to stick full of : to be riddled with (arrows, darts, etc.); (later more generally) to be full of. Cf. as full (also close, etc.) as one can stick at (now rare).

< Previous | Next >