'more money' vs 'as much money as'

Karen123456

Malaysia English
My father has three times more money than my mother.
My father has three times as much money as my mother.

Is there any difference in meaning between the above sentences?

Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    Adding "does" after "mother" would be a good idea in both sentences.

My father has three times as much money as my mother does.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
    Thanks, Owlman, for your help. I have added 'does' to the sentences. I would like to know whether there is a difference in meaning between the sentences.

Karen123456

Malaysia English
    Thanks, E2efour. I would like to know whether there is a difference in meaning between the following sentences which I wrote in my first post on this topic.

My father has three times more money than my mother.
    My father has three times as much money as my mother.

Thanks again.

e2efour

UK English
    I don't want to confuse you, but I think there is a problem with "three times more money than".
    If the mother has 100, does this mean that the father has 400 or 300? I believe both interpretations are possible.

I don't think the problem occurs with "three times as much money as", or perhaps it does?!

Perhaps you should say "My father has four times [or three times] what my mother has." or (sounds better) "My father has XX times the amount of money that my mother has."

Does this make sense?

sound shift

English - England
    Aside from the possibility of ambiguity and the other matters raised in the other threads, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say "three times more money". It sounds odd to me, but it may just be me.

< Previous | Next >