More/no more

Darunia

English-United States
I can't figure out the difference between how to say "No more," and "more," in the below context. It seems to me that they're both "plus de." I know that there must be one, can someone clarify it for me?

I want more water ---- Je veux plus d'eau.
I don't want more water. -----Je ne veux plus d'eau.
More water! -----Plus d'eau!
No more water! -----Plus d'eau!

Also, incidenally, if I were to say "there is a storm out there," would I be able to say "Il y a un ouragan la-dehors?" Does dehors serve that function?

• Atlantis210

France
    In french, there is plus de (pronunciation : "plus de"; traduction : not anymore) and plus de (pronunciation :"plusse de" ; traduction : more) which are totally different.

So : More water ! : "Plusse d'eau"
    and No more water! : "Plus d'eau" : implied il n'y a plus d'eau

and for the storm for out there it would be : là bas

amon-re

French
    ok for the first

actually, the pronunciation is not plooh. but <<plu>> like in the french word "bus". The french sound "u" doesn't seem to exist in english, does it?

nouvellerin

English (US)
    ok for the first

actually, the pronunciation is not plooh. but <<plu>> like in the french word "bus". The french sound "u" doesn't seem to exist in english, does it?
    I was just showing the differences between the pronunciation of "plus"'s negative and positive meanings.
    You are right. This sound does not exist, but we French-learners manage to make this sound about as far as the French manage to make the "th" sound :)

< Previous | Next >