More nocturnal than

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hello, folks.

Is it possible and semantically acceptable to describe a person who is always active and zeal at night as:

He is more nocturnal than an urchin?

Thanks

• Barque

Tamil
    You could use "nocturnal" but I don't understand the comparison to an urchin. An urchin usually refers to a young, mischievous child and they aren't known for being nocturnal.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    It might be in your culture. But, in ours, an urchin is a nocturnal animal" nightly active" and quite rare to be seen at broad day.

se16teddy

English - England
    It might be in your culture. But, in ours, an urchin is a nocturnal animal" nightly active" and quite rare to be seen at broad day.
    Are you referring to a hedgehog?

I see from WordReference that the word "urchin" can refer to a hedgehog in some dialects, though I have never seen it used that way.
    urchin - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    Urchin - Wikipedia

Hedgehogs may be largely nocturnal, but you do see them up and about in the daytime sometimes, and as far as I know they are not "proverbially" nocturnal in English.

Last edited:

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)

Barque

Tamil
    But, in ours, an urchin is a nocturnal animal" nightly active"
    It isn't a question of culture.:rolleyes: It's a question of usage. Hedgehogs are much the same everywhere - it's not as if they decide "Oh, we're in India, so we need to be active during the day, but our cousins in Saudi Arabia can be nocturnal".

< Previous | Next >